Averie Armstead, a native of Birmingham, is an associate at Starnes Davis Florie. Averie’s practice is devoted to civil litigation to include professional medical liability, healthcare litigation, long term care and nursing home litigation, and surety and fidelity litigation. Averie also serves on the firm’s Recruiting Committee and Diversity Committee.
Prior to attending law school, Averie worked as a coordinator of University Programs Student Affairs at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, AL.
- 2019 Jack Davis Professional Achievement Award, The University of Alabama
- Merit Scholarship Recipient, Cumberland School of Law
- President, Cumberland School of Law Senior Class (2019)
- Judge Abraham Caruthers Fellow
- Senior Moot Court Competition – Finalist, Cumberland School of Law
- Scholar of Merit Book Award – Race & American Law and Scholar of Merit Book Award – Appellate Advocacy
- Member, American Journal of Trial Advocacy, Vol. 41, 42
- Secretary, Student Bar Association (2018)
Averie has been selected to serve on the inaugural core leadership team for Birmingham Mayor Woodfin’s Women’s Initiative, which was created to improve the lives of women and children in Birmingham and to work with the city’s Division of Social Justice and Racial Equity to address community issues such as poverty, healthcare, domestic violence and police relations. Averie also serves as member of the Birmingham Bar Association, the Magic City Bar Association, and Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated.
She has served as a Dream Team Volunteer with Church of the Highlands, volunteered with Project Homeless Connect – Birmingham & Tuscaloosa and “Street Law” Community Services Program, and served on a mission trip in Yoro, Honduras.
While in law school, Averie served as a member of Judge James Edwin Horton Inn of Court; served on the Graduate Professional Council – Samford University (2018); and the Career Development Advisory Board – Cumberland School of Law (2018-19). She also worked as an Admissions Ambassador for Cumberland School of Law.
Presentations and Publications
- Black (enough?) Letter Law: What’s the Threshold to Qualify for Minority Race Status?, American Journal of Trial Advocacy, January 21, 2019.
- Executively Ordering the Prioritization of Veteran’s Mental Health, American Journal of Trial Advocacy, February 7, 2019.
News & Insights
Averie loves sports, music, movies, traveling, and being “Auntie Averie” to her nieces and nephews.