Will Axon has been a partner at Starnes Davis Florie for over 10 years. He concentrates his practice in the areas of healthcare litigation, professional medical liability, licensure and regulatory compliance, and complex premises liability. Will has participated in trying over 30 cases to juries throughout the State of Alabama.
- Fellow of the American Board of Trial Advocates
- Named “Birmingham Best Lawyers - 2023 Lawyer of the Year” for Healthcare Litigation, Medical Malpractice-Defendants & Professional Malpractice Law-Defendants
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®
- Super Lawyer in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine
- Litigation Star for Alabama in Benchmark Litigation
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- Obtained a defense verdict for a general surgeon in case involving allegations of negligently performing abdominal surgery resulting in the retention of a foreign body which caused various injuries and damages to the patient.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a urologist accused of negligently and wantonly allowing a retained wire fragment to remain in a patient’s urinary tract over several months following a procedure to remove kidney stones.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of two surgeons accused of negligently delaying surgery to repair a gunshot wound to the abdomen.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an obstetrician in a case claiming negligence in failing to remove a sponge from the patient’s body after vaginal delivery, resulting in alleged permanent pelvic floor injury.
- Obtained defense verdict for a Birmingham internal medicine physician in a lawsuit alleging wrongful death of a 26 year old mentally disabled female.
- Obtained defense verdict in a medical malpractice on behalf of a family medicine physician in a prolonged 8-week trial with multiple defendants.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial for an emergency physician in a case alleging negligent failure to diagnose septic arthritis, resulting in below the knee amputation.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a pediatrician in an eight-day trial in a case involving alleged negligent failure to diagnose subarachnoid hemorrhage in a fifteen year old girl, resulting in brain surgery and brain injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial on behalf of an ENT Medical Facility alleging unsafe conditions caused injuries to patients including a rare neurologic condition, ultimately leading to surgical implantation of spinal cord stimulator.
- Obtained summary judgment for medical center in a case alleging unethical research practices caused permanent developmental injuries to neonates.
- Obtained dismissal of Qui Tam/False Claims Act for two physicians which was affirmed by the 11th Circuit.
- Successfully represented hospital in coordination with CDC during outbreak of harmful bacterium resulting multiple deaths.
Presentations and Publications
- Keynote presenter, “Liability Issues for Nurse Anesthetists,” ALANA Fall Convention.
- Keynote presenter, “Medical Liability for Third-Party Nonpatients,” ALAMTA Regional.
- CLE Presenter, “Cutting Edge Issues in Medical Malpractice,” National Business Institute.
News & Insights
- SDF’S AXON, EZELLE & HINES NAMED BEST LAWYERS “2023 LAWYER OF THE YEAR”
- 30 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2023
- SDF’s Axon & Harpool Obtain Defense Verdict in Medical Malpractice/Professional Liability Trial
- STARNES RANKED AS A “HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FIRM” IN THE 2022 EDITION OF BENCHMARK LITIGATION
- 29 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2022
- Starnes Ranked as a “Highly Recommended Firm” in the 2021 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021
- Another Appellate Win for SDF – Affirmance of Defense Verdict at Trial
- SDF’s Axon & Newton Obtain Defense Verdict in Five Day Trial
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2019 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- SDF Attorneys Miller, Axon & Greskovich Obtain Defense Verdict for Trauma Surgeons in Suit brought by Shooting Victim
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers 2020
- Starnes Davis Florie Ranked in the 2019 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- SDF Attorneys Joe Miller & Will Axon Win Med Mal Trial for OB/GYN
- Twenty-Seven SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2019
- SDF Attorneys Florie & Axon Obtain Defense Verdict in Wrongful Death Trial
- SDF Attorneys Hines and Axon Obtain Defense Verdict After 8 Weeks of Trial
- SDF Attorney Will Axon Inducted into the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Starnes Davis Florie Named a Highly Recommended Litigation Firm in the 2018 Edition of Benchmark Litigation