Starnes Davis Florie is regularly called upon to defend clients in various industries in class actions around the country. In the last several years, the firm has defended over 70 national and state-wide class actions, often in cases involving novel or ground-breaking theories, with potential industry-wide impact.
The firm has particular class action experience in the areas of consumer finance, securities, products liability, employment, ERISA, and insurance. Starnes Davis Florie has served as coordinating counsel when clients have been confronted with multiple class actions in multiple jurisdictions.
Specific recent experience includes:
- Looney v. Moore, 861 F.3d 1303 (11th Cir. 2017) – obtained summary judgment for all claims in class action alleging research study of the proper oxygenation level of extremely premature infants was unethical
- In re Walter Energy, Inc.,2015 WL 12839000 (N.D. Ala. November 23, 2015) – obtained favorable settlement of securities class action
- Thurman v. Judicial Correction Services, Inc., 2013 WL 5727166 (M.D.Ala. 2013) – represented private company in class action alleging violation of constitutional rights.
- Przedwojewski v. NHS Management, LLC, 503 Fed.Appx. 891 (11th Cir. 2013) – obtained complete dismissal of class action alleging improper payment of Medicare subrogation
- Matthews v. Brookstone Stores, Inc., 431 F.Supp.2d 1219 (S.D. Ala. 2006) – obtained dismissal in class action alleging fraudulent design and distribution of a product
- Bickley v. Caremark RX Inc., 461 F.3d 1325 (11th Cir. 2006) – obtained dismissal of class action filed against PBM involving allegations of ERISA violations
- Brown v. Protective Life Ins. Co., 353 F.3d 405 (5th Cir. 2003) – twice obtained dismissal of putative class actions alleging violations of RICO and Louisiana Motor Vehicle Sales Act in sale of credit life insurance
- Exhaust Unlimited, Inc. v. Cintas Corp., 223 F.R.D. 506 (S.D. Ill. 2004): defeated class certification in nationwide antitrust case in which firm served as national coordinating counsel for a Georgia-based linen service provider