The Mayor of the City of Mobile has issued an Executive Order directed to retail and grocery stores as follows:
- Allow no more than 40% of stated fire capacity in the store at a time. To calculate the maximum number of persons permitted, either (a) multiply the maximum occupancy times 0.4 or (b) divide the total square footage of the sales space by 75%. Forty percent capacity limit does not apply to employees. Retailers must require staff to count the number of customers entering and exiting the store and to enforce this as the emergency maximum occupancy.
- Retailers must clearly mark 6’ spacing in lines and other high-traffic areas and consider ways to encourage spacing if there are lines outside. Retailers should consider posting signage or using ropes to direct customers and to limit bottlenecks/encourage flow in high-density areas of stores.
- Retailers must designate employees to monitor social distancing and assist customers.
- Retailers must maximize space between customers and employees at checkout.
Cleaning and Sanitation:
- Retailers must designate employees to ensure the cleaning guidelines set by the CDC are followed.
- Retailers must discontinue self-serve foods and product sampling.
- Retailers must post a conspicuous notice of the store’s emergency maximum occupancy at all entrances.
Limit time in store, especially for vulnerable population:
- Retailers should establish exclusive hours for those in high-risk populations, including seniors, where stores will limit their capacity to 40% of fire capacity at any time.
- Larger grocery stores and retailers (those with greater than 25,000 SF) are encouraged to offer pickup and/or delivery options.
The Order goes into effect April 2, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. and remains in effect until it is rescinded by Mayoral Order.
A copy of the Order can be found here.
We are available to address your individual circumstances and questions.
This information is not intended to provide legal advice, and no legal or business decision should be based on its content. No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. Read full disclaimer.