Will is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie and has been with the firm since 2010. Will’s practice is devoted to civil litigation, where he focuses primarily in the areas of medical malpractice defense and commercial litigation. As part of Starnes Davis Florie’s collegiate sports group, Will also represents universities in NCAA compliance investigations. Prior to joining the firm, Will earned his J.D./M.B.A. from the Cumberland School of Law and the Brock School of Business.
- Will was named a “Rising Star” of the Birmingham Bar by B-Metro Magazine.
- Starnes was honored for his achievements and contributions in the legal profession, his educational background, and his community involvement.
- Will attends The Cathedral Church of the Advent, where he serves as an usher.
- He is currently the President of the Birmingham Young Leaders Board of the American Heart Association.
- In 2013 and 2014, Will served on the Birmingham Bar Association Young Lawyers Section Executive Committee.
- He is an active member of the Monday Morning Quarterback Club.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a pediatrician in an eight-day trial in a case involving alleged negligent failure to diagnose a subarachnoid hemorrhage in a fifteen year old girl, resulting in brain surgery and brain injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a dentist in a case alleging improper application of short-term orthodontic appliances, resulting in jaw surgery.
- As part of his NCAA compliance work, Will works with universities to investigate potential NCAA violations. Will has also handled numerous NCAA investigations, including matters resolved through the Summary Disposition process.
- As co-counsel, represented KKR in a securities fraud case arising from the leveraged recapitalization of the Bruno’s grocery store chain.
- Currently defending a university in a purported class action related to injuries allegedly suffered as a result of participation in a clinical research trial.
- Obtained favorable results on behalf of a local pipe company in cases involving payment for labor and/or materials supplied on public works projects.
- Obtained complete dismissal on behalf of a board-certified rheumatologist in a personal injury case involving alleged malpractice in the diagnosis and treatment of lupus nephritis.
- As co-counsel, obtained complete dismissal on behalf of a board-certified radiologist in a wrongful death case involving alleged malpractice in the interpretation of a CT scan.
- Obtained complete dismissal in favor of an emergency room physician in a wrongful death case involving alleged malpractice in the administration of medications.
- As co-counsel, obtained complete dismissal on behalf of a board-certified internist in a case which the plaintiff claimed she developed acute phosphate nephropathy with renal failure following the alleged negligent prescription of a medication.
Presentations and Publications
- “Revisiting Affinity Hospital, L.L.C. v. Williford,” Alabama Defense Lawyers Association Journal, Vol. 32, No. 1, Pages 34 – 40 (Spring 2016).
- Walter W. Bates, R. Todd Huntley, William S. Starnes, Jr., “Ten Tips for Direct Examination and Cross-Examination,” 39:2 Am. J. Trial Advoc. 339 (2015).
- Co-authored publication, “Medicare Reporting Requirements and the Medicare Secondary Payer Statute – Where Do We Go From Here?”, Alabama Self-Insured Association’s Semi-Annual Newsletter, 2010.
News & Insights
- Starnes Davis Florie Names Four New Partners to the Firm
- Bates, Huntley & Starnes Publish Article in the American Journal of Trial Advocacy
- SDF Attorney Will Starnes Publishes Article in the 2016 Spring Edition of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association Journal
- Miller, Axon, and Starnes Obtain Defense Verdict for Pediatrician in an Eight Day Trial
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Miller & Starnes Obtain Defense Verdict for Dentist
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Elected to BBA’s 2014 Young Lawyers Executive Committee
- Starnes Davis Florie Associates Elected Leaders of the BBA’s Young Lawyers Section
- Starnes & Gerheim Join Starnes Davis Florie as Associates