Weathers Bolt is a partner in Starnes Davis Florie’s Mobile office. His practice is devoted to general civil litigation with a focus in the areas of commercial transactions and malpractice litigation. He handles matters involving financial services, warranty claims, product liability, physician malpractice, nursing home malpractice, fraud, and personal injury claims. He has tried jury and bench trials to a verdict and has experience compelling and defending claims in arbitration. He has also defended several actions brought by governmental agencies, helping to resolve them through both settlement and trial.
- Named a Rising Star in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine.
- While attending law school, Weathers served as Managing Editor of the Alabama Law Review, Senator of the Student Bar Association, and was a member of the Bench & Bar Legal Honor Society. He received the Anna C. Curry Leadership Award, the Dean’s Community Service Award, the Alabama Law Review - Best Student Contribution award, the Judge Robert G. Kendall III Endowed Scholarship, and the W. Allen Cox Endowed Scholarship.
- For undergrad, Weathers attended Emory University, where he was a member of the varsity swim team. At Emory, Weathers was a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars and received All-Academic Recognition for the University Athletic Association Conference.
- Weathers is active in the local bar serving as the President of the Mobile Young Lawyer Section.
- Celeste Lambert v. Autry Greer & Sons, Inc. Obtained summary judgment in a premises liability case on an open and obvious theory wherein the Plaintiff allegedly tripped and fell on a metal panel and sustained neck injuries resulting in an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion.
- Grayson v. PURE – Obtained a defense verdict in an insurance coverage dispute alleging that the plaintiff qualified as a resident relative under his sister’s UM/UIM insurance policy. The verdict was vacated by the Court, but was reinstated on appeal by the Alabama Supreme Court. (No. 1150927, — So. 3d —, 2016 WL 7321571 (Ala. Dec. 16, 2016))
- Secretary of Labor v. Blakeley Boatworks – Received favorable ruling from ALJ vacating an OSHA citation based on the unpreventable supervisory misconduct defense. (OSHRC Docket No 16-1533) (currently on appeal).
- Obtained a defense verdict for an OB/GYN in a case alleging misrepresentation of colposcopy findings as cancer resulting in an unnecessary hysterectomy.
- Carnrike v. Titusville Herald – Obtained dismissal of a defamation suit against a newspaper publisher in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama for lack of personal jurisdiction. (Case No. 14-429-KD-B)
- Lutman v. Carr – Obtained a defense verdict in the Circuit Court of Mobile County, Alabama in a personal injury case filed against an insured for damages allegedly sustained by Plaintiff as a result of a motor vehicle accident. (CV-2013-900459-CAG)
- Van Norman v. Vernor – Obtained a defense verdict in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama in a personal injury case filed against an insured for damages allegedly sustained by Plaintiff as a result of a motor vehicle accident. (1:12-CV-00362-KD)
Presentations and Publications
- “Trial Preparation: From the Close of Discovery to the Moment You Arrive in Court,” CLE, Alabama Law Weekly, December 19, 2018.
- “Alabama Litigation Overview,” Practical Law Litigation (Summer 2016; Updated Spring 2018).
- “Responding to a Complaint: Alabama Q&A,” Practical Law Litigation (Summer 2015).
- UM/UIM Law in Alabama, a webinar for a national third-party claims administrator, May 5, 2015.
- “Much Ado About Nothing: The Effect of Manifest Disregard on Arbitration Agreement Decisions,” Note, 63 ALA. L. REV. 300 (2011).
News & Insights
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Warren Butler & Weathers Bolt Obtain Defense Verdict on Behalf of National Insurance Company
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Secure Defense Verdict for OB/GYN After Eight Days of Trial
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorney Weathers Bolt Obtain Defense Verdict in Personal Injury Trial
- Weathers Bolt Joins Starnes Davis Florie’s Mobile Office as an Associate