Trey’s practice is devoted to civil litigation with a primary focus on complex business litigation, professional liability, mass torts, and appellate advocacy. He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of business disputes. He routinely advises his business clients prior to disputes arising, to reduce the likelihood of litigation and craft creative solutions to problems. When litigation does arise, however, Trey is committed to aggressively representing his clients’ interests to achieve the best possible results.
- Selected to participate in the Alabama Bar’s Leadership Forum program as a member of the 2012 class.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®. In addition, Best Lawyers in America® has named Trey Wells the “Birmingham Best Lawyers Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants Lawyer of the Year” for 2019.
- Recognized as a leading litigation attorney under 40 years of age in Benchmark Litigation's annual Under 40 Hot List.
- Named a “Litigation Star” for the state of Alabama in the 2017-2020 editions of Benchmark Litigation.
- Named a Super Lawyer for the state of Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine.
- Named a Rising Star for the state of Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine.
- Appointed to serve as Editor-In-Chief of the American Bar Association’s Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Law Journal for the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 fiscal years.
- Selected and served as an Editor for the Alabama Law Review as a student at the University of Alabama School of Law.
- Trey serves as a member of the Alabama – Mississippi Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and was named to the Birmingham MS Leadership Class for 2012.
- He, his wife, and two children are members of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church.
- Secured the dismissal of a federal RICO lawsuit seeking more than $100,000,000 in damages from eleven defendants that included both corporate entities and individuals.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a multinational corporation against one of the three largest railroad companies in the United States in a dispute involving a long-term contract for rail transportation.
- Obtained complete summary judgment in favor of accounting firm and two of its accountants on claims brought by a property developer arising out of the alleged mishandling of a multi-million dollar tax deduction for a conservation easement.
- Won a jury trial in favor of an investment consulting firm and its affiliated companies in a case involving claims of violation of the Alabama Trade Secrets Act, conspiracy, and breach of fiduciary duty brought by a competitor company seeking in excess of $7 million in damages.
- Obtained a verdict worth more than $2.5 million for four limited liability companies as the plaintiffs in a breach of contract action arising out of the sale of three industrial facilities in Mississippi.
- Obtained complete summary judgment in favor of a multinational corporation and its executives on claims arising under the Alien Tort Statute, the Torture Victims Protection Act, and Colombian wrongful death law premised on the deaths of three Colombian labor union leaders.
- Obtained complete summary judgment in favor of a multinational corporation and its executives in a mass tort action involving claims of more than 600 Colombian citizens arising under the Alien Tort Statute, the Torture Victims Protection Act, and Colombian wrongful death law.
- Obtained complete summary judgment on a breach of contract counterclaim brought against a multinational corporation wherein over $100 million in damages were sought.
- Obtained full summary judgment and affirmance by the Alabama Supreme Court in favor of a municipality in a suit by private businesses alleging several million dollars in flood losses arising out of the flooding of a natural creek allegedly due to the municipality’s improper maintenance of the creek.
- Has represented and is currently representing several accounting firms in defense of claims of professional liability.
Presentations and Publications
- H. Thomas Wells, III, Patricia A. Sexton, Alison P. Lungstrum, and Ashley Hawkinson, “Recent Developments in Products, General Liability, and Consumer Law,” Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Vol. 45:2, Pages 517-542 (Winter 2010).
- H. Thomas Wells, III, “Wyeth v. Levine, a Summary: Foreshadowing an End to the Doctrine of Implied Pre-Emption?”, ABA Tort & Trial Insurance Practice Section Committee News: Products, General Liability, and Consumer Law Committee (Spring 2009).
- Patricia A. Sexton, Kimela R. West, Lynn G. Trevino-Legler, H. Thomas Wells, III, and Franklin H. Turner, III, “Recent Developments in Products, General, and Consumer Liability Law,” Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Vol. 44:2, Pages 653-678 (Winter 2009).
- Whose Ditch is it Anyway? An Analysis of Municipal Flood Liability, CLE Speech at the Alabama Association of Municipal Attorneys Midyear Law Conference, October 13, 2007.
- H. Thomas Wells, III, “I Saw the Light! Electronic Billboards and Sign Regulation”, Birmingham Bar Association Bulletin, Vol. 28, Issue 2 (Summer 2007).
News & Insights
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021
- PPP Amendments Loosen Restrictions, Provide Additional Relief to Businesses
- SDF Attorneys Davis, Wells & Presley Secure a Complete Dismissal of a Federal RICO Lawsuit Seeking More than $100,000,000 in Damages
- Don’t Step into the PPP Loan Minefield Without a Map
- Wells & McCall Secure Order to Compel to Arbitration by the Alabama Supreme Court
- SDF’s Tony Davis, Trey Wells, and Ben Presley Secure Jury Verdict in Favor of Multinational Corporation
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2019 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers 2020
- Starnes Davis Florie Ranked in the 2019 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Twenty-Seven SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Trey Wells & Richard Davis Named Best Lawyers “2019 Lawyer of the Year”
- Davis, Stevens, & Wells Named to Benchmark Litigation’s 40 & Under Hot List
- Twenty-Eight SDF Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Six SDF Lawyers Listed in the 2018 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- Starnes Davis Florie Named a Highly Recommended Litigation Firm in the 2018 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
- Twenty Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- Starnes Attorneys Featured in Forbes
- Twenty Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to 2015 Alabama Super Lawyers