Sybil Newton is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie and has practiced with the firm for over thirty years. She heads the firm’s Appellate Law and Written Advocacy Group. Prior to her position as head of the firm’s Appellate Group, Sybil had an active trial practice, participating in over twenty jury trials, defending primarily medical malpractice actions across the state. She has handled a variety of appeals on behalf of litigants and is also regularly retained by non-litigants to intervene in appeals as amicus curiae. Sybil also served as the Firm’s Administrative Partner for six years.
- Appointed by the Alabama Supreme Court, and currently serving in her fifth 3-year term as a member of the Standing Committee on Alabama Rules of Appellate Procedure until October 2024
- Named a “leading individual” in the field of Appellate Litigation by Chambers USA
- Recognized as a leading Appellate practitioner in the Eleventh Circuit Benchmark: Appellate
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® for Appellate Law & Medical Malpractice Law
- AV Peer Rating by Martindale Hubbell for over 25 years
- Listed in Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine as one of the top attorneys in the state of Alabama
- Member of The American Society of Legal Advocates, which selects less than 1.5% of lawyers nationwide for membership
- Sybil served as a CASA (court appointed special advocate for children), advocating for the best interests of abused or neglected children who have been removed from their homes.
- Sybil is a member of the St. Mary’s Church on the Highlands, which she attends with her husband, George and their five children.
- Prevailed in an appeal before the Alabama Supreme Court, in favor of the Defendant OBGYN and her practice group following a week-long trial in the Circuit Court of Jefferson County. On appeal, the Plaintiffs argued they were entitled to a new trial because the trial court erred by denying Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment on causation, erred in its charge to the jury and the manner in which it framed to issues to be considered by the jury, and erred in prohibiting the Plaintiffs from employing Reptile Theory tactics.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court affirming complete dismissal of all claims asserted against a national fraternity arising out of the alleged conversion and fraudulent transfer of real property that was owned by members of a local chapter organization.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court, affirmed without opinion, on a summary judgment entered by the Circuit Court of Walker County in favor of a urologist in an action involving postoperative complications following a robotic prostatectomy.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court holding an arbitration agreement enforceable in a senior living case based upon the principles of apparent authority.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court to enforce their client’s arbitration agreement in a nursing home malpractice case.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court, affirming summary judgment on tort of outrage claim against third party administrator arising from administration of workers’ compensation claim.
- Secured a favorable ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court affirming a Rule 12 dismissal for our client on Tort of Outrage and Wrongful Discharge in Violation of Public Policy claims.
News & Insights
- Starnes Attorneys Prevail in an Appeal Before the Alabama Supreme Court
- 30 Starnes Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2024
- Sybil Newton and Scott Stevens Obtain Favorable Ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court
- Starnes Attorneys Win Appeal for Urologist in Medical Malpractice Case
- SDF’s Davis, Bates & Newton Obtain Favorable Ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court
- Starnes Davis Florie Ranked a Top Law Firm by Chambers USA 2023
- SDF’s Eagan, Newton, Huntley, and Jones Obtain Favorable Ruling from Alabama Supreme Court
- Newton, Bolt & Hines Obtain Favorable Ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court
- 30 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2023
- Favorable Alabama Supreme Court Ruling for Newton, Butler & Still
- Starnes Attorneys Umbach, Newton & Still Secure Favorable Ruling from Alabama Supreme Court
- Sybil Newton Reappointed to a 5th Term on the Standing Committee on the Alabama Rules of Appellate Procedure
- TWENTY-TWO ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2021 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- 29 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2022
- Sybil Newton and Scott Stevens Prevail in Florida Appellate Court and Secure Attorney’s Fee Award
- SDF Attorneys Newton & Butler Secure Favorable Opinion from Alabama Supreme Court
- White, Newton & Bates Secure Favorable Ruling in Supreme Court Opinion
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to the 2020 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021
- Another Appellate Win for SDF – Affirmance of Defense Verdict at Trial
Sybil recently took a sabbatical and completed a 12-week certificate cooking course at the Ballymaloe Cookery School in County Cork, Ireland.