Richard represents clients in federal and state court civil and criminal trials and appeals and in investigations and enforcement actions involving federal and state regulatory, law enforcement, and professional licensing agencies—primarily in environmental, healthcare, and commercial matters. He has substantial experience in parallel proceedings in which civil and criminal investigations or proceedings arise from the same set of facts or circumstances. Richard also provides clients with legal counsel regarding legislation, administrative agency rulemaking, and public policy—particularly pertaining to healthcare and environmental issues.
- AV-Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America Trial Lawyer Honorary
- Vice Chair, International Institute of Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law (“IINREEL”)
- Top Leading Litigator by Chambers USA
- Best Lawyers in America®—Commercial Litigation, Environmental Law, Litigation-Environmental, and Natural Resources. In addition, Best Lawyers in America® has named Richard Davis the “Birmingham Natural Resources Law Lawyer of the Year” for 2017 and 2019
- Mid-South Super Lawyers
- 2018 Top Attorney for White Collar Defense and Energy/Environmental Litigation by Birmingham Magazine
- Chair, Birmingham Bar Association Federal Practice Section (2015-2016)
- Chair, Alabama State Bar Environmental Law Section (2010-2011)
- Editor-in-Chief, Cumberland Law Review (1988-1989)
- Birmingham Bar Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Volunteer, Northern District of Alabama Pro Bono Counsel for Unrepresented Indigent Parties in Civil Cases
- Environmental: Defending Clean Water Act citizen suit against landowner for alleged unpermitted discharges of pollutants into Black Warrior River from reclaimed mine site.
- Healthcare/False Claims: Advising multiple physician practices in conjunction with audits, investigations, and overpayment recoupment actions involving claims totaling millions of dollars. Recently obtained on administrative appeal revision of $2,700,000.00 overpayment to $2,100.00 through the presentation of statistical, independent, audit and medical necessity evidence.
- White Collar Investigation/Securities and Accounting Fraud: Representing corporate officer in parallel securities and accounting fraud investigations of company by the Department of Justice and the Securities Exchange Commission (New York) and as witness in administrative proceeding before the SEC.
- Healthcare/False Claims: Represented physician in conjunction with Justice Department False Claims Act Civil Investigative Demand regarding over $750,000
- Commercial Litigation: Defended wastewater operations and management company against fraud and breach of contract claims totaling over $2,100,000 related to a decentralized cluster wastewater management system.
- Healthcare/White Collar Crime: Represented healthcare providers in DEA investigation (Alabama); Advised medical device manufacturer in conjunction with federal grand jury investigation (Detroit, MI) (no charges against client); investigated allegations of improper conduct by nursing home employee in making referrals to home health care providers (Alabama).
- Environmental: Birmingham Water Works Board v. Alabama Surface Mining Commission and Reed Minerals, Inc.: Represented client in trial of water quality issues in state court
- Criminal Defense: In a case The American Lawyer named “Most Inspiring Pro Bono Win of 2015” [United States v. Rivera] Richard and co-counsel obtained the release from federal prison of an individual incarcerated for 30 years on drug charges
- Environmental Crime: Represented corporate client in conjunction with negotiated plea agreement for single-count misdemeanor Clean Water Act violation; obtained reinstatement for compliant client after mandatory debarment from federal programs
- Commercial Litigation (for plaintiff): Obtained settlement valued in excess of $2,500,000 for plaintiff policyholder in federal lawsuit for bad faith claims denial on pollution policy
- Banking and Financial Services (for plaintiff): Prosecuted claims for bad faith violation of federal Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA), for failure to maintain commercially reasonable security procedures, and for other related torts on behalf of victims of identity theft/account hacking and obtained full recovery of clients’ funds (six-figures +) along with attorneys’ fees
- Environmental: Woods Knoll, LLC v. City of Lincoln: Obtained defense judgment for City of Lincoln in federal trial of Clean Water Act and inverse condemnation claims brought by adjacent property owner complaining of $1,840,000 in damage to 239-acre property, including wetlands, allegedly caused by discharges of storm water from 160-acre city property being developed as an industrial park; presented oral argument and obtained affirmance of defense judgment before 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Environmental Crime: Defended client charged with criminal violations of Clean Water Act and related charges of mail fraud, wire fraud, and conspiracy in federal jury trial
- Environmental/Toxic Torts: Obtained summary judgment for manufacturer on plaintiff’s claims for bodily injury allegedly caused by plant’s chemical and particulate air emissions
- Environmental: Represented clients in over a dozen CERCLA matters including the LWD, Inc. (Calvert City, Kentucky), Anniston PCB and lead sites (Calhoun and Talladega Counties, Alabama), Alabama Plating (Vincent, Alabama), B&B Manufacturing (Mobile, Alabama), M & J Solvents (Fulton County, Georgia), and Interstate Lead (Leeds, Alabama) Superfund sites and the Reef Environmental (Sylacauga, Alabama), Shredders, Inc. (North Birmingham, Alabama), Alabama Wood Treating (Mobile, Alabama), and Allworth (Tarrant, Alabama) sites
- Environmental: University of Montevallo, et al. v. Middle Tennessee Land Development Company, LLC: Obtained injunction for plaintiffs, university and university foundation, after a two-week trial consisting largely of technical hydrogeological and quantitative expert testimony, to protect the Ebenezer Swamp Wetlands Preserve—the “scenic highlight” of the University of Montevallo (Ranked by Thrilllist as one of the “20 most beautiful college campuses in the country”)—from proposed quarrying activity.
Presentations and Publications
- “Surprise! You May Be an Environmental Criminal: Recognizing the Quagmire as a Prerequisite to Managing Risk, Manufacture Alabama Environmental Conference (November 16, 2016, Millbrook, Alabama)(presentation)
- “Working with Environmental Experts in Litigation, Regulation, and Transactions,” 25th Annual Southern Environmental Law & Regulation Conference (June 10, 2016, Destin, Florida)(presentation)
- “Healthcare Audits and Investigations as Pathways to Criminal and Civil Liabilities for Providers,” Etowah County Medical Group Management Association (October 20, 2015, Gadsden, Alabama)(presentation)
- “Strategic Legal Risk Management—Contingency Planning to Avoid or Mitigate Legal Crises,” Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants (August 13, 2015, Mobile, Alabama and August 31, 2015, Huntsville, Alabama) (presentations)
- “Investigations—Internal and Governmental,” Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants (August 13, 2015, Mobile, Alabama and August 31, 2015, Huntsville, Alabama) (presentations)
- “What Accountants Should Know About White Collar Crime,” Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants (August 13, 2015, Mobile, Alabama and August 31, 2015, Huntsville, Alabama) (presentations)
News & Insights
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Twenty-Seven SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Trey Wells & Richard Davis Named Best Lawyers “2019 Lawyer of the Year”
- SDF Ranked A Top Firm by Chambers USA 2018
- SDF Attorneys Davis, Dickens, & Laird Named “Top Attorneys” in the 2018 April Issue of Birmingham Magazine
- 8 SDF Partners Named “Leaders in their Field” in Chambers USA 2018
- Richard E. Davis Appointed to the Alabama State Bar’s new Task Force on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar for 2017-2018
- Twenty-Eight SDF Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Richard E. Davis has been Named Vice Chair of the International Institute of Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law
- Twenty-Six SDF Lawyers Listed in the 2018 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Richard Davis to Speak at the Annual Manufacture Alabama Conference
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Jeannie Walston and Richard Davis Named Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” for 2017
- Twenty Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- False Claims Act/Qui Tam Litigation – “Implied Certification”
- The American Lawyer Names Richard Davis’s Case “Most Inspiring Pro Bono Win of 2015”
- Twenty Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to 2015 Alabama Super Lawyers
- Seventeen Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Named to Alabama Super Lawyers 2014