Reed is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie and has served on various firm committees. He is chair of the firm’s long term care practice group.
Reed’s practice is devoted to civil litigation with a special emphasis representing healthcare providers in litigation and regulatory matters. His litigation experience includes professional medical liability, long term care/nursing home liability, pharmaceutical and medical device liability, product liability, and general personal injury, wrongful death and insurance litigation (including defense of direct claims against insurance companies for breach of contract, bad faith, and fraud). Reed has tried numerous complex jury and non-jury cases to a verdict.
- Listed in the 2011-2019 editions of Best Lawyers in America® for Medical Malpractice – Defendants
- Listed in Birmingham’s B-Metro Magazine’s 2018 “Top Lawyers” List
- Member of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Actively involved in the Medical Liability and Health Care Law Section of DRI
- Member of the Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Associates (President 2006-2009)
- Member of the Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum
- Member of the American Health Lawyers Association
- Former Chair of the Medical Defense and Health Law Committee of IADC
- Former Vice-Chair of Nursing Home/Long Term Care of IADC
- Former Vice Chair of Programs and Projects for the Medical Defense and Health Law Committee of IADC. Reed has also served as a member of Alabama State Bar's Judicial Liaison Committee
- Reed is actively involved in his church and local outreach ministries including a local prison ministry.
- He enjoys coaching youth sports.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of an assisted living facility and the facility’s executive director in a six-day arbitration hearing involving a resident’s allegations of sexual assault.
- Obtained defense judgment for nursing home in four day arbitration involving claims by plaintiff for personal injury and wrongful death.
- Secured reversal by Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals of Order dismissing 9 U.S.C.4 Complaint to Compel Arbitration for lack of subject matter jurisdiction in nursing home case.
- Successfully compelled malpractice claims against nursing home in Arkansas into arbitration.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of emergency department physician in seven-day wrongful death trial.
- Obtained dismissal of cardiologist in wrongful death case.
- Obtained jury verdict for emergency department physician in ten-day wrongful death case.
- Currently representing numerous nursing homes and long term care facilities throughout the State of Alabama in personal injury and wrongful death cases.
- Obtained dismissal of class action against nursing home operator and insurance company arising from alleged violations of Medicare Secondary Payor Act.
Presentations and Publications
- Sexual Assault in Long-Term Care: Evaluating and Defending these Claims, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association, Orange Beach, AL, April 24, 2018.
- Mega Rule Staffing Requirements → Are you Ready,? Alabama Nursing Home Association, Birmingham, AL, October 23, 2017.
- Arbitration Best Practices, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Meeting, Orange Beach, AL, April 26, 2014.
- Criminal Acts by Employees, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Meeting, Orange Beach, AL, April 26, 2014.
- Trends in Nursing Home Litigation – Avoiding the Multi-Million Dollar Mistake, Senior Care Pharmacy Conference, Birmingham, AL, April 10, 2014.
- Is This Just Another One of Those Nursing Homes?, Alabama Nursing Home Association Meeting, Birmingham, AL , February 3, 2014.
- “Whoa to the Company that Fails to Include a Class Wide Arbitration Waiver,” IADC Medical Defense and Health Law Committee Newsletter, January 31, 2014.
- Open Floor Discussion: Are You Producing More Than Your Peers? Pushing Back On A Request for Production, American Conference Institute’s Seminar on “Preventing and Defending Long Term Care Litigation,” Miami, FL , January 28, 2014.
- “Are You As Guilty As The Criminal? Liability For Criminal Acts Of Third Parties And Employees,” Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Quarterly Publication, FDCC Quarterly (Fall 2013).
- Preparing and Developing Testimony from Frontline Caregivers, DRI Nursing Home / ALF Litigation Seminar, Las Vegas, NV, September 2012
- Risk Management: Resident Care Litigation and Labor & Employment Perspectives, Alabama Assisted Living Association, September 2012
- Trial and Error: Lessons Learned from Recent Multi-Million Dollar Verdicts in Medical Malpractice Cases, IADC Annual Meeting, Asheville, NC, July 2012
- Risk Management: Patient Care Litigation, Regulatory Compliance, and Labor & Employment Perspectives, Alabama Nursing Home Association, May 2012
- Class Actions and Arbitration Update in Nursing Home Cases, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association, April 2011
- Mission Impossible: Resolution of a Case with a Medicare Claimant, Alabama Nursing Home Association Owners Meeting, Highlands, NC, July 2010
- Arbitration Update, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association, May 2010
- Reed R. Bates and Stephen W. Still, Jr., “Arbitration in Nursing Home Cases: Trends, Issues and a Glance into the Future”, IADC Defense Counsel Journal, Vol. 76, No. 3, Pages 282-299 (July 2009) * Please Note: this article was reprinted with the permission of the IADC Defense Counsel Journal.
- Arbitration in Nursing Home/Health Care Cases: National Trends, Hot Topics and a Glance into the Future, 2009 IADC Mid-Year Conference, Carlsbad, CA, February 2009
- Arbitration in Nursing Home Cases, Alabama Nursing Home Association Owners Meeting, Highlands, NC, July 2008
- Nursing Home Litigation, Alabama Bar Institute for CLE, October 2007
- Nursing Home Malpractice: Evaluating and Addressing Accountability, National Business Institute, September 2007
- Effectively Using Medical Evidence in Court, National Business Institute, May 2007
- Medical Practice Litigation Tips, Barristers Educational Services, December 2006
- Measures to Prevent Litigation and Successfully Defend Medical Malpractice cases, Turenne Pharmedco University, August 2006
- Enforcement of Arbitration Provisions in Long Term Care Litigation, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Conference, May 2006
- Arbitrating Nursing Home Cases, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association, November 2005
- Recent Developments in Nursing Home Litigation, Lorman Education, February 2005
News & Insights
- Twenty-Seven SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2019
- SDF Attorneys Bates, Walston & Whillock Named to B-Metro’s 2018 Top Lawyers List
- Twenty-Six SDF Lawyers Listed in the 2018 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- Reed Bates & Will Davis Obtain Defense Verdict After 6-Day Arbitration for Assisted Living Facility
- Twenty Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Publish Article in the FDCC Quarterly Defense Counsel Journal
- Seventeen Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- SDF Attorneys Reed Bates and Stephen Still Co-Author and Present Article for FDCC
- SDF Attorneys Reed Bates Publishes Article in IADC Committee Newsletter
- Sixteen Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorney Reed Bates Gives Presentation at the DRI Nursing Home Seminar
- Seventeen Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- Starnes Attorney Reed Bates Presents at Annual IADC Meeting
- Wright, Bates and DeBuys Prevail in Nursing Home Malpractice Arbitration
- Sixteen Starnes Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers 2012