Michael Scivley is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie and has been practicing law since 2006. His practice is primarily devoted to defending physicians and other health care providers in a variety of matters involving alleged medical malpractice and wrongful death. He also has significant experience assisting health care providers on matters involving professional licensing and credentialing. He is also a member of the firm’s Recruiting Committee.
- Michael was named a Rising Star for the state of Alabama by the 2013 and 2014 editions of Alabama Super Lawyers® magazine
- Michael is a member of the Alabama Bar Association, the Birmingham Bar Association, Defense Research Institute, and the American Bar Association.
- He served as a member of the Birmingham Bar Association Medical Liaison Committee
- He is a volunteer for the Brown University Alumni Schools Committee, where he interviews prospective college applicants.
- He is a member of Vestavia Hills United Methodist Church.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a general surgeon in a case involving laparoscopic cholecystectomy which resulted in a complete transection of the common bile duct.
- Obtained defense verdict following a seven-day trial in federal court involving a psychiatrist accused of improperly prescribing anti-seizure/bipolar medication.
- Successfully defended an ophthalmologist on a licensing matter involving the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners and the Medical Licensure Commission of Alabama.
- Obtained complete summary judgment in favor of an orthopaedic surgeon accused of improperly performing an open reduction and internal fixation of a right lateral malleolar fracture.
- Obtained complete summary judgment in a wrongful death matter in favor of a family practitioner accused of failing to misdiagnose an infection.
- Obtained complete summary judgment in favor of a plastic surgeon accused of improperly performing a liposuction procedure.
- Secured the dismissal of two anesthesiologists in a medical malpractice and wrongful death matter involving a cervical spine surgical procedure.
- Secured the dismissal of a nephrologist in a wrongful death matter involving a dialysis patient.
- Secured the dismissal of a urologist and licensed practical nurse accused of failing to diagnose a recurrence of renal cell carcinoma.
- Secured the dismissal of a dentist accused of striking a patient with a dental drill during a root canal procedure.
Presentations and Publications
- Lectured on Dram Shop Litigation at the Tort Law Update presented by CLE Alabama/The University of Alabama School of Law
News & Insights
- SDF Attorneys Mike Wright & Michael Scivley Obtain Defense Verdict in Med Mal Trial
- Wright & Scivley Obtain Defense Verdict for Psychiatrist in Seven Day Trial
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Named to Alabama Super Lawyers 2014
- Twenty-Six Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Listed in Alabama Super Lawyers 2013
- Starnes Davis Florie Announces Its New Partners
- While attending Cumberland School of Law, Michael was a member of the Cordell Hull Speaker’s Forum.
- Michael played wide receiver for Brown University, where he earned multiple varsity letters and was a member of the 1999 Ivy League championship football team.