Michael is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie. His practice is focused on complex litigation, including contract disputes, fraud, defamation, trade secret, product liability, non-compete, intellectual property, class action, and RICO lawsuits. His practice also includes constitutional law, appellate advocacy, and personal injury. Michael represents multinational, national, regional, and local companies across the southeast.
While in law school, Michael served as editor-in-cheif of the law review. Michael currently serves as a member of the firm’s recruiting committee.
- Named a Rising Star in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine.
- Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch" (2021-2023)
- Member of the Phoenix Club of Birmingham, which supports the mission of the Boys & Girls Club and further seeks to impact the direction of the community’s youth through fund-raising.
- Obtained full summary judgment in favor of our clients, an oncology practice, its President, and one of its physicians, dismissing claims of defamation and wantonness.
- Intrinsic Value, LLC v Isotope Eleven, Inc. & Laird Foret –– Obtained a plaintiff’s verdict following a 4-day jury trial in favor of tech start-up client in a fraud case arising from the defendant-software developers’ misrepresentations when they agreed to build two mobile applications for corporate client.
- Successfully obtained a complete dismissal for university officials sued in a wrongful death action involving a highly-publicized mass shooting at an academic medical center.
- Obtained $7 million verdict in favor of Rice University in patent infringement dispute filed against nanotechnology corporation.
- Successfully represented UAB in patent infringement disputes filed against medical device manufacturers.
- Successfully represented inventors and their company in patent infringement dispute filed against pharmaceutical company.
Presentations and Publications
- “Responding to Discovery Subpoenas: Alabama,” Practical Law Litigation (Spring 2015).
- “Location, Location, Location – The Food Truck’s Battle for Common Ground” Cumberland Law Review, 2014.
News & Insights
- 16 Starnes Attorneys Listed in the 2022 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Perkins, Wells & Lasserre Granted Full Summary Judgment 10 Days Prior to Trial
- 30 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2023
- Starnes Davis Florie Promotes Three Attorneys to Partner
- TWENTY-TWO ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2021 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- 29 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2022
- SDF Attorneys Gresham and Lasserre Obtain Plaintiff’s Verdict for Tech Start-Up Company
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to the 2020 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Jay Ezelle, Breanna Young, and Michael Lasserre Obtain Dismissal of University Employees in Wrongful Death Action
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2019 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Starnes Davis Florie Welcomes Two New Associates to the Firm