Larry is an associate at Starnes Davis Florie and his practice is focused on defending complex medical malpractice cases, healthcare audit claims and healthcare fraud claims, and intellectual property matters in both federal and state court. He is a member of the firm’s recruiting committee and has served on the firm’s HIPAA Compliance Committee where he counseled healthcare providers and internal clients on the statutory and regulatory aspects of HIPAA and HITECH to ensure operational compliance in the areas of patient privacy and information security.
From 2016 – 2018, Larry worked in San Francisco as an intellectual property attorney for a national law firm and as a technology investment banking associate for Houlihan Lokey, a global investment bank. As an intellectual property attorney, he primarily assisted with the drafting of patent applications for complex technologies, including financial technology, computer software systems, cloud computing, and computer networks. At Houlihan Lokey, he advised the internal Tech & IP Advisory business unit on legal issues and risks, commercial agreement structures, and company approval processes to ensure compliance with company policies and risk tolerance in connection with strategic M&A transactions focused on technology, intellectual property, and internet products for hundreds of innovative global companies and market leaders.
Prior to attending law school, Larry was employed by Southern Company Services and Alabama Power Company as an electrical engineer.
- Named a "Rising Star" of the Birmingham Bar by BMetro Magazine. He was honored for his achievements and contributions in the legal profession, his educational background, and his community involvement.
From 2012-2014, Larry served on the Birmingham Bar Association Young Lawyers Section Executive Committee.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of family medicine physician in a matter alleging wrongful death for failure to diagnose a patient’s acute myeloid leukemia.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an internist in a wrongful death claim alleging negligence in prescribing a safe and proper dosage of morphine sulfate.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an orthopedic surgeon in a matter alleging sub-standard care in relation to a surgical irrigation and debridement to an open wound fracture on a patient’s right foot.
- Obtained judgment as a matter of law for surgeon after five days of trial in wrongful death claim involving allegations of failure to diagnose and treat a perforated dudodenal ulcer.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a general surgeon in a matter alleging negligent postoperative treatment of a surgical wound.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a radiologist in an eight day medical malpractice wrongful death trial arising from allegations of failure to diagnose a patient’s brain aneurysm.