Joseph joined Starnes Davis Florie upon graduating law school in 1997 and became a partner in 2004. His practice is devoted to civil litigation, with an emphasis on professional liability matters in which he represents physicians, hospitals, long-term care facilities, and other healthcare providers. Joseph has tried over 45 complex civil cases to a jury verdict, has arbitrated several cases to a final binding decision, and has represented facilities in administrative proceedings. He is licensed in both Alabama and Tennessee.
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®for Medical Malpractice Law
- Obtained a jury verdict for a general surgeon accused of negligently performing a gallbladder removal surgery, causing a bile duct injury.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a general surgeon charged with medical negligence in the performance of a laparoscopic cholecystectomy (minimally invasive surgery to remove the gallbladder).
- Obtained a defense verdict following a 3 day arbitration in a case alleging the defendant nursing home’s unsanitary environment and its failure to properly clean, treat, and monitor a surgical incision site caused the resident to develop an infection that necessitated amputation of the resident’s leg.
- Obtained a defense judgment following a nursing home malpractice case involving the death of a resident alleged to have resulted from a medication error and the failure to appropriately treat the resident’s condition and monitor the resident’s hydration status.
- Obtained a defense judgment following an arbitration of a nursing home malpractice case involving claims of personal injury and wrongful death arising out of a fall and the subsequent development of a bedsore.
- Obtained a defense judgment following a four day arbitration of a nursing home malpractice case involving claims of personal injury and wrongful death.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of a surgeon in a wrongful death case in which the patient died at home of a perforated colon only hours after being evaluated by the surgeon in his office.
- Obtained judgment as a matter of law during jury trial for general surgeon accused of negligently failing to prescribe anticoagulants following an intra-operative surgical complication.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a nursing home following a five day jury trial in a case involving a rehabilitation resident who was assessed on admission as a high fall risk and who later fell, sustaining a depressed skull fracture with resulting brain injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a gastroenterologist following a seven day jury trial in a case involving a patient who suffered a cardio-pulmonary arrest during an endoscopic procedure performed under conscious sedation.
Presentations and Publications
- Getting it Right the First Time: Learning from Today’s Top Verdicts and Settlements, American Conference Institute 7th Annual Forum on Long Term Care Litigation, Miami, FL (January 19, 2017)
- Is this Just Another One of Those Nursing Homes? Alabama Nursing Home Association Meeting, Birmingham, AL (February 3, 2014)
- Medical Malpractice: Expert Witness Issues — Case Law, Depositions, and Impeachment, NBI Webinar (August 8, 2013)
- Lessons Learned from Recent Arbitrations, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association, Perdido Beach, AL (April 28, 2012)
News & Insights
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021
- SDF Attorneys Reese & Miller Win Trial for General Surgeon
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers 2020
- Twenty-Seven SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2019
- SDF Attorneys Joseph Reese & Billy Bates Win Trial in Professional Liability Case
- SDF Attorney Joseph Reese Obtains Defense Award in a 3-Day Arbitration of a Nursing Home Malpractice Case
- Joseph Reese Obtains Defense Judgment in an Arbitration of a Nursing Home Malpractice Case
- SDF Attorney Joseph Reese Inducted into The American Board of Trial Advocates
- Reese & Eagan Obtain Defense Judgment Following a Three Day Arbitration of a Nursing Home Malpractice Case
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Reese & Sellers Obtain Defense Judgment in Nursing Home Case
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Sellers and Reese Obtain Defense Verdict in Wrongful Death Trial
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Wright and Reese Secure Defense Judgment for General Surgeon
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Reese & Sellers Win Nursing Home Trial
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Reese & Sellers Win Seven Day Wrongful Death Trial
- Sellers & Reese Obtain Defense Verdict in Colbert County Medical Malpractice Trial