Jordan’s practice throughout Alabama and Florida state and federal courts is divided between civil litigation and serving as general counsel for local, regional, national, as well as international businesses. Jordan specializes in several areas of the law, including first and third party claims, construction, insurance, bad faith, professional liability, product liability and wrongful death, as well as premises liability, dram shop/liquor liability, and workers’ compensation. Jordan’s practice also includes business, corporate and contract advice and litigation.
- Spotlighted by The Whisper
- Member of the Defense Research Institute: Steering Committee of Young Lawyer Division
- Member of Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Alabama Bar Association
- Member of the Florida Bar Association.
- Member of Mobile County Bar Associations: Former Executive Committee Appointee
- AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Rising Star in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine.
- Jordan is a 2015 graduate of Leadership Mobile and devotes much of his time away from work serving on the Board of Directors for Fuse Project, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing the spark for innovation, funding and implementation of projects benefiting children along Alabama’s Gulf Coast. Fuse Project invests in initiatives promoting the health, fitness, education and social responsibility of children.
- Jordan is a proud Big Brother to a great 8 year old in Mobile as a part of Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Alabama.
- Jordan currently serves as President of the University of Georgia’s Alumni Association for the Mobile and surrounding areas.
- Jordan serves on the Senior Bowl Committee.
- Obtained summary judgment and complete dismissal on behalf of termite company in Mobile County Circuit Court on claims of fraud, negligence, wantonness, and breach of contract.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Alabama Court of Civil appeals affirming a trial court’s defense verdict on behalf of their client, a multi-state corporation from a suit arising out of a former employee’s claim for workers’ compensation benefits. The Alabama Supreme Court later affirmed without opinion.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Alabama Supreme Court on behalf of their clients, a national little league baseball program and its local director, after a spectator was hit by a baseball and sustained a serious brain injury/bleed.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an employer in workers’ compensation case, in Monroe County, Alabama. The claimant employee alleged he was permanently and totally disabled as a result of injuries to his arms, shoulders, neck and back suffered on the job.
- Obtained summary judgment for a bar/restaurant/nightclub owner all claims – including claims of Liquor Liability/Dram Shop Act and Wrongful Death – stemming from a shooting at the nightclub. After approximately four years of litigation, extensive briefing by the parties, and lengthy oral arguments, the Jefferson County Circuit Court held, among other things, that the plaintiff did not present sufficient evidence to establish a genuine issue of material fact and dismissed all claims as a matter of law.
- Obtained a favorable opinion from the Supreme Court of Alabama reversing and remanding a trial court’s denial of a client’s request to compel arbitration of claims filed against his business in Baldwin County, Alabama.
- Successfully obtained order denying class certification attempt against popular community association and major tourist development in Northwest Florida. The Association was alleged to be responsible for class allegations relating to violations of the Florida Deceptive & Unfair Trade Practices Act.
- Obtained a complete summary judgment and dismissal for a national insurance provider in a suit brought under Alabama’s Direct Action Statute involving novel issues and arguments under Alabama law. The judgment and dismissal were subsequently affirmed on appeal by the Alabama Supreme Court.
- Obtained defense verdict in favor of construction company and its principal owners in case pending in Mobile County, Alabama, arising out of allegations of negligence and breach of express and implied warranties. The Alabama Supreme Court affirmed the jury’s verdict and dismissal on appeal.
- Obtained complete dismissal of national beverage manufacturer in a federal court personal injury and product liability action arising out of claims of injuries sustained as a result of defective product.
- Obtained summary judgment and complete dismissal of restaurant and catering company in Mobile County on claims based on premises liability and brought pursuant to Alabama’s Dram Shop Act (liquor liability).
- Obtained complete dismissal of personal injury lawsuit against regional grocery store chain in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida. The District Court further awarded costs to be paid to the grocery store chain by the plaintiff.
- Successfully represented and defended a local politician after challenges to his eligibility and eventual election were made by opposing candidate under the Fair Campaign Practices Act. A complete dismissal of the challenges and a confirmation of the election results were obtained from the Circuit Court of Mobile, Alabama.
- Obtained summary judgment and complete dismissal for condominium association in a case filed in Baldwin County, Alabama, brought under Alabama’s Uniform Condominium Act.
- Obtained complete dismissal of a personal injury action filed against a national grocery store chain filed in the Circuit Court of Coffee County (Elba), Alabama, on claims for negligence and wantonness related to a slip and fall incident.
- Successfully defended and obtained injunctive relief for Georgia car dealership against opposition’s attempt to take possession and ownership of vehicle and property under Alabama’s Abandoned Motor Vehicle Act.* Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Baldwin County, Alabama, condominium and its association from claims for negligence and wantonness arising out of an invitee’s slip and fall on the premises.
- Successfully defended driver before a jury in Baldwin County, Alabama, against allegations of negligence and wantonness arising out of a motor vehicle accident.
- Successfully represented bar and restaurant in suit brought in Jefferson County, Alabama, arising out of claims alleged against it under Alabama’s Dram Shop Act.
- Successfully defended and obtained injunctive relief for national rental company against opposition’s attempt to take possession and ownership of vehicles and property under Alabama’s Abandoned Motor Vehicle Act.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of national grocery store chain in case brought in Santa Rosa County, Florida, stemming from claims for negligence and wantonness arising out of a slip and fall incident in the store.
- Obtained complete dismissal on behalf of an automobile dealership and finance company in a personal injury action brought in Mobile County based on claims of negligence, negligent entrustment, and wantonness.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of plumbing company in Mobile County for claims of negligence, wantonness, and fraud.
- Jordan Gerheim and Amber Whillock obtained a favorable ruling from the Alabama Court of Civil appeals affirming a trial court’s defense verdict on behalf of their client, a multi-state corporation. The suit arose out of a former employee’s claim for workers’ compensation benefits. The claimant employee alleged he was permanently and totally disabled as a result of injuries to his arms, shoulders, neck and back suffered on the job. The case was tried by Jordan Gerheim. On appeal of the trial court, defended by Gerheim and Whillock, the Court of Civil Appeals agreed with the trial court’s reasoning and affirmed with no opinion. The Alabama Supreme Court later denied Plaintiff’s petition for writ of certiorari, also without opinion.
Presentations and Publications
- “Oral Advocacy at Every Stage of the Case” – Publication presented by Honorable Jeff Brown of the Texas Supreme Court and appellate lawyer, Chad Ruback. Austin, TX (2017).
- Fundamentals of Workers’ Compensation, Workers’ Compensation CLE, Mobile, AL, (July 6, 2016).
- “Alabama Litigation Overview,” Practical Law Litigation (Summer 2016; Updated Spring 2018).
- “Responding to a Complaint: Alabama Q&A,” Practical Law Litigation (Summer 2015).
- “The Surety’s Contractual Right of Indemnity”, 26th Annual Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, Clearwater, Florida, April 2015.
- Pro Ami and Structured Settlements, Keynote Speaker, Mobile Legal Professionals Association, November 2012.
- “Insurers Beware: Defending Claims Under Alabama’s Direct Action Statute,” Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (ADLA) Journal, 2012 Spring Edition.
- “IF I ONLY KNEW THEN…: Suggestions for New Lawyers from Lessons Learned,” The Whisper by the Defense Research Institute (DRI), Vol. 8, Issue 1, January 2012.
- “Law School Initiative: Making the Most of Your Summer Clerkship: Tips on How to Be a Great Summer Associate,” The Whisper by the Defense Research Institute (DRI), November 2010.
News & Insights
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to the 2020 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- SDF’s EMPLOYER/EMPLOYEE COVID-19 RESPONSE: QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
- Mobile County Retailer Alert
- COVID-19 PREMISES ALERT FOR BUSINESS AND PROPERTY OWNERS
- Thank you for Attending: How to Develop a Return to Work Plan that Protects Your Employees and is Legally Compliant
- Webinar- How to Develop a Return to Work Plan that Protects Your Employees and is Legally Compliant
- SDF’s Gerheim & Whillock Obtained Favorable Ruling from the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals Affirming Defense Verdict
- SDF Attorneys Sybil Newton & Jordan Gerheim Obtain Favorable Ruling From Alabama Supreme Court
- Starnes Attorney Jordan Gerheim Obtains Defense Verdict in Workers’ Comp Case
- Jordan Gerheim Featured in The Whisper – a Newsletter Published by the DRI’s Young Lawyers Committee
- SDF ALERT: Alabama’s Workers Comp Law Unconstitutional?
- SDF Attorneys Obtain Favorable Opinion From Supreme Court of Alabama
- Starnes Davis Florie Announces New Partners
- Butler, Stevens and Gerheim Obtained Summary Judgment & Dismissal for National Insurance Provider
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorney Jordan Gerheim Publishes Article in The Whisper
- Starnes & Gerheim Join Starnes Davis Florie as Associates
In 2015, Jordan was selected by the Defense Research Institute (DRI) as one of twelve young lawyers from around the country to be sworn in, in person, as a new member of the bar of the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. The swearing-in ceremony took place before all nine (9) justices, with Chief Justice Roberts granting the motion for Jordan’s membership.
Jordan does his best never to turn down the opportunity to travel or see a good concert. His favorite band, Pearl Jam, still likes to tour too! So, if he can see them in a city he has never been, he can enjoy both passions at the same time. Jordan is set to see his 20th and 21st shows this Summer.