John is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie. He joined the firm in 2002 after practicing for three years in Montgomery, Alabama. John was the second lawyer to join the Mobile office and is a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He has worked on a broad variety of litigation matters, including professional liability, complex commercial and business litigation, intellectual property and collegiate sports. His practice has a particular emphasis on healthcare and professional medical liability, where John has successfully tried numerous hospital, physician, and nursing home cases to verdict.
- Super Lawyer in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® for Medical Malpractice Law & Personal Injury Litigation.
- Rising Star for the State of Alabama in Alabama Super Lawyers, 2011.
- AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell at Peer Review Ratings™.
- John is a member of the Paul W. Brock Chapter of the American Inns of Court and the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Advisors.
- He serves on the Board of the Mobile Museum of Art and the Board of the Friends of the History Museum of Mobile.
- John and his family attend Christ Church, in Mobile, Alabama.
- Obtained a defense verdict, in Mobile, Alabama, for an OB/GYN in a case alleging misrepresentation of colposcopy findings as a cancer resulting in an unnecessary hysterectomy.
- Secured a defense verdict for a reproductive endocrinologist in a wrongful death claim filed by a mother in connection with the loss of her unborn child.
- Obtained a dismissal without settlement of clients at the close of all evidence in a wrongful death case involving medication error that resulted in a verdict of $140 Million against co-defendants.
- Obtained judgment as a matter of law for surgeon after five days of trial in wrongful death claim involving allegations of failure to diagnose and treat a perforated duodenal ulcer.
- After nineteen days of trial, obtained judgment as a matter of law on behalf of an internist in a wrongful death case involving allegations of failure to diagnose a liver hematoma in an ICU patient.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a defendant colon and rectal surgeon in a seven-day trial involving the alleged improper cessation of steroid therapy.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of an orthopedist in litigation stemming from the transection of the popliteal artery during arthroscopic procedure.
News & Insights
- 30 Starnes Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2024
- 30 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2023
- 29 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2022
- Wells & McCall Secure Order to Compel to Arbitration by the Alabama Supreme Court
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2019 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Twenty-Eight SDF Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to 2015 Alabama Super Lawyers
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Secure Defense Verdict for OB/GYN After Eight Days of Trial
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Wright and McCall Secure Defense Verdict for Reproductive Endocrinologist
- Starnes Davis Florie Granted Favorable Ruling by The Alabama Supreme Court
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Named to Alabama Super Lawyers 2014
- Twenty-Six Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Listed in Alabama Super Lawyers 2013
- Starnes Davis Florie Lawyers Secure Appellate Reversal & Rendering of Adverse Malpractice Verdict
- Florie & McCall Secured Dismissal in Two-Week Wrongful Death Trial in Baldwin County
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Secure Judgment in Favor of Surgeon in Selma Wrongful Death Case
- Twenty Starnes Attorneys Listed in Alabama Super Lawyers