John represents clients in healthcare fraud, environmental, commercial, and white collar criminal matters, including trials and appeals and investigations by regulatory and law enforcement agencies. He spent more than a decade as a prosecutor, as a deputy district attorney in the Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office, and as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Middle and Northern Districts of Alabama. During that time, he was lead counsel on numerous trials, and has prosecuted cases ranging from bankruptcy and healthcare fraud to bank robbery and drug trafficking.
- Selected to participate in the Alabama Bar’s Leadership Forum Program (2017 Class)
- Served as an Editor for the Alabama Law Review as a student at University of Alabama School of Law.
Member of Trinity United Methodist Church in Homewood, Alabama, and has served in a leadership role on the church’s Administrative Board.
News & Insights
- PPP Amendments Loosen Restrictions, Provide Additional Relief to Businesses
- With Benefits Come Responsibility: Businesses Should Expect Sharp Scrutiny for Covid-19 Relief
- DOJ’s National Nursing Home Initiative Targets “Grossly Substandard Care”
- Don’t Step into the PPP Loan Minefield Without a Map
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Business Interruption, Property Damage, and Other Insurance Coverage Issues
- SDF Welcomes John Geer to the Firm’s White Collar, Compliance & Investigations Practice Group
John and his wife and two daughters live in Homewood. Before becoming a lawyer, John worked for CNN/Sports Illustrated and was a sports editor for the Birmingham News.