Joe is a Partner and has been at Starnes Davis Florie LLP since 1992. Joe has served as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. His practice is devoted to defending physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers in medical malpractice cases. Joe has participated in trying over 86 cases to juries throughout the State of Alabama. He regularly speaks at legal and medical seminars regarding medical malpractice litigation.
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL)
- Member of The American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL) Judicial Independence Committee for 2023 – 2024
- Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). Past President, Vice-President and Treasurer of ABOTA's Alabama Chapter.
- Top Leading Litigator by Chambers USA.
- Super Lawyer in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®. In addition, Best Lawyers in America® has named Joe Miller “Birmingham Best Lawyers Medical Malpractice Defense Lawyer of the Year” for 2021
- Listed as a Local Litigation Star for the State of Alabama in Benchmark Litigation
- Joe is a member of Canterbury United Methodist Church, and supports various local charities.
- Joe and his wife, Elizabeth, have two sons
- Obtained a defense verdict for a pediatric anesthesiologist in a two-week trial alleging negligent intubation and airway management in the MRI suite, resulting in the death of a 29-day-old infant.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a defendant emergency physician in a case alleging negligent failure to diagnose aortic dissection, resulting in the death of a 47 year old patient the day after being treated and released from the emergency department.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a psychiatrist in an 8-day trial, in a case alleging medical malpractice and wrongful death.
- Obtained a jury verdict for a general surgeon accused of negligently performing a gallbladder removal surgery, causing a bile duct injury.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of two surgeons accused of negligently delaying surgery to repair a gunshot wound to the abdomen.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an obstetrician in a case claiming negligence in failing to remove a sponge from the patient’s body after vaginal delivery, resulting in alleged permanent pelvic floor injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a family practice physician in Madison County in a case alleging wrongful death after prescribing antibiotics for community acquired pneumonia.
Presentations and Publications
- Professionalism, American College of Trial Lawyers Panel, University of Alabama School of Law, May 18, 2022.
- Professionalism, American College of Trial Lawyers Panel, Cumberland School of Law, October 15, 2021.
- Defending Fetal Death Cases: CLE Presentation at medical malpractice conference for Alabama attorneys.
- Medical Expert Witnesses – Why Do We Have Them and What Do They Go Through? CLE Presentation regarding legal challenges facing healthcare providers, Cumberland School of Law.
- Depositions in a Medical Negligence Case From a Defendant’s Point of View. CLE Presentation. The Art of Taking and Defending Depositions, Birmingham, Alabama.
- Strategies for Working with Evidence at Trial. CLE Presentation.
News & Insights
- SDF Attorneys Miller & McIntyre Obtain Defense Verdict in 2-Week Wrongful Death Trial
- Starnes Davis Florie Ranked as a “Highly Recommended Litigation Firm” in the 2024 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
- 30 Starnes Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2024
- Starnes Davis Florie Ranked a Top Law Firm by Chambers USA 2023
- Starnes Davis Florie Highly Ranked in Benchmark Litigation 2023
- 30 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2023
- STARNES DAVIS FLORIE RANKED A TOP FIRM BY CHAMBERS USA 2022
- SDF Attorneys Miller & McIntyre Obtained Defense Verdict in Wrongful Death Trial
- SDF Attorneys Miller & McIntyre Obtain Defense Verdict for Psychiatrist in Med Mal Case
- STARNES RANKED AS A “HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FIRM” IN THE 2022 EDITION OF BENCHMARK LITIGATION
- 29 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2022
- STARNES DAVIS FLORIE RANKED A TOP FIRM BY CHAMBERS USA 2021
- Starnes Ranked as a “Highly Recommended Firm” in the 2021 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021
- Richard Davis, Joe Miller & Christian Hines Named Best Lawyers”2021 Lawyer of the Year”
- Another Appellate Win for SDF – Affirmance of Defense Verdict at Trial
- SDF Appellate Win – AL Supreme Court Grants Reversal & Remand
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2019 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- SDF Attorneys Reese & Miller Win Trial for General Surgeon
- SDF Attorneys Miller, Axon & Greskovich Obtain Defense Verdict for Trauma Surgeons in Suit brought by Shooting Victim