Joe is a Partner and has been at Starnes Davis Florie LLP since 1992. Joe currently serves as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. His practice is devoted to defending physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers in medical malpractice cases. Joe has participated in trying over 80 cases to juries throughout the State of Alabama. He regularly speaks at legal and medical seminars regarding medical malpractice litigation.
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL)
- Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). Past President, Vice-President and Treasurer of ABOTA's Alabama Chapter.
- Member of the Professional Liability Defense Federation.
- Super Lawyer in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®. In addition, Best Lawyers in America® has named Joe Miller “Birmingham Best Lawyers Medical Malpractice Defense Lawyer of the Year” for 2021
- Listed as a Local Litigation Star for the State of Alabama in Benchmark Litigation
- Joe is a member of Canterbury United Methodist Church, and supports various local charities.
- Joe and his wife, Elizabeth, have two sons
- Obtained a jury verdict for a general surgeon accused of negligently performing a gallbladder removal surgery, causing a bile duct injury.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of two surgeons accused of negligently delaying surgery to repair a gunshot wound to the abdomen.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an obstetrician in a case claiming negligence in failing to remove a sponge from the patient’s body after vaginal delivery, resulting in alleged permanent pelvic floor injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a family practice physician in Madison County in a case alleging wrongful death after prescribing antibiotics for community acquired pneumonia.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a defendant gynecologist after a 5 day trial in a case alleging negligent failure to diagnose breast cancer, resulting in mastectomy and chemotherapy.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an emergency physician after a 7 day trial in Federal Court in Memphis, Tennessee in a case alleging negligent failure to diagnose and treatment acute coronary syndrome, resulting in myocardial infarction and permanent heart damage in a 36 year old patient.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an emergency physician in an 8 day trial of a case alleging negligent failure to diagnose septic arthritis, resulting in below the knee amputation.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an emergency physician in a 5 day trial of a case involving alleging negligent failure to diagnose an aortic dissection, resulting in death of a 29 year old patient.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a pediatrician in an 8 day trial of a case alleging negligent failure to diagnose subarachnoid hemorrhage in a 15 year old girl, resulting in brain surgery and brain injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a defendant gynecologist in a 9 day trial of a case involving alleged negligent administration of anticoagulant medications and negligent failure to consult a hematologist, resulting in death of a hospitalized post-operative patient.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a dentist in a 5 day trial of a case alleging improper application of short-term orthodontic appliances, resulting in jaw surgery.
- Obtained a defense verdict for two obstetricians in an 8 day trial of a case alleging negligent failure to timely diagnose pre-eclampsia, resulting in the complication of Purtscher’s-Like Retinopathy and maternal blindness following cesarean section.
Presentations and Publications
- Defending Fetal Death Cases: CLE Presentation at medical malpractice conference for Alabama attorneys.
- Medical Expert Witnesses – Why Do We Have Them and What Do They Go Through? CLE Presentation regarding legal challenges facing healthcare providers, Cumberland School of Law.
- Depositions in a Medical Negligence Case From a Defendant’s Point of View. CLE Presentation. The Art of Taking and Defending Depositions, Birmingham, Alabama.
- Strategies for Working with Evidence at Trial. CLE Presentation.
News & Insights
- Starnes Ranked as a “Highly Recommended Firm” in the 2021 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021
- Richard Davis, Joe Miller & Christian Hines Named Best Lawyers”2021 Lawyer of the Year”
- Another Appellate Win for SDF – Affirmance of Defense Verdict at Trial
- SDF Appellate Win – AL Supreme Court Grants Reversal & Remand
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2019 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- SDF Attorneys Reese & Miller Win Trial for General Surgeon
- SDF Attorneys Miller, Axon & Greskovich Obtain Defense Verdict for Trauma Surgeons in Suit brought by Shooting Victim
- SDF Attorney Joe Miller Admitted to the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers 2020
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- SDF Attorneys Joe Miller & Will Axon Win Med Mal Trial for OB/GYN
- Twenty-Seven SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Starnes Attorneys Joe Miller & Bob MacKenzie Obtain Defense Verdict for OB/GYN
- Starnes Attorneys Joe Miller & Bennett White Win Trial for Physician in Wrongful Death Case
- Twenty-Eight SDF Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Six SDF Lawyers Listed in the 2018 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- SDF Attorneys Joe Miller & Bob MacKenzie Obtain Defense Verdict in Professional Liability Case
- SDF Attorney Joe Miller Obtains Defense Verdict in Federal Court in Memphis, Tennessee
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers