Jake is an associate at Starnes Davis Florie LLP. His practice is focused on civil litigation, including contract disputes, complex business litigation, professional liability, and appellate advocacy. Jake also serves as a member of the Firm’s Recruiting Committee.
Jake graduated from the University of Alabama School of Law in 2019. While attending law school, he served as Executive Articles Editor on the Law & Psychology Review and served on the John A. Campbell Moot Court Board. Jake was also a member of the Bench and Bar Legal Honor Society.
For undergrad, Jake attended Auburn University, where he studied Mechanical Engineering.
- Appointed as Chair of the DRI YLC Ethics & Professionalism Subcommittee
- Appointed to DRI’s Young Lawyer Steering Committee
- Successfully obtained writ of mandamus and a favorable opinion from the Supreme Court of Alabama on behalf of accounting firm, directing the trial court to strike the plaintiff’s jury demand.
- Obtained summary judgment and complete dismissal on behalf of a termite company in a case involving claims of fraud, negligence, wantonness, and breach of contract.
- Recently obtained complete dismissal of all claims on behalf of one of the world’s largest technology companies in suit alleging defamation, negligence, and discriminatory practices.
- Recently won an arbitration involving a claim against an accounting firm for allegedly breaching the standard of care. The claimant was seeking in excess of $7 million in damages.
Presentations and Publications
- Jake MacKay and Tyler McIntyre, “Often Forgotten, But Easy to Remember,” DRI – Raising the Bar Newsletter, Vol. 17, Issue 3, October, 2021.
- Jake MacKay, “Recent Decisions Pose a Risk to the Flexibility & Efficiency of Arbitration,” For the Defense (DRI Magazine), Vol.63, No. 8, pages 65-66, August 2021.
News & Insights
Jake enjoys spending his free time watching college football, fishing, and travelling with his wife, Carmen.