George has practiced with Starnes Davis Florie, LLP since 2001. His practice covers a diverse range of complex civil litigation, including professional liability, healthcare, construction, real estate, banking and business litigation. He regularly serves as trial counsel in complex civil jury trials in the state and federal courts of Alabama and Tennessee.
George has been appointed by the Alabama Supreme Court to serve on it’s Standing Committee for the Alabama Rules of Evidence, a committee which proposes amendments and advises the Court on changes to Alabama’s Rules of Evidence.
- Appointed by the Alabama Supreme Court to serve on it's Standing Committee for the Alabama Rules of Evidence.
- Member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).
- Serves as Treasurer and a member of the Executive Committee of the Alabama Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) for 2021-2022.
- AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings.
- Named a Rising Star in Alabama Super Lawyers® magazine.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®.
- Active member of the Alabama Bar Association, serving as a member of the Alabama Bar Leadership Forum Selection Committee and previously serving a multi-year term as a member of the Leadership Forum Section Executive Committee.
- While in law school, he served as a senior editor for The Alabama Law Review.
- Prior to graduating from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service, and following a period of study at Tokyo’s Jochi Daigaku (Sofia University), George successfully completed the Georgetown University’s Japanese Language Proficiency Examination.
- George and his family are active members of St Mary’s-on-the-Highlands, where George serves as a musician.
- He is an active alumnus of Georgetown University and has served as a member of the school’s Alumni Admissions Program for 20 years.
- George is also a member of the board of directors of the Parkinson’s Association of Alabama and the board of directors of Camp McDowell.
- He is also a member of the Japan-America Society of Alabama, and has also served as a Trustee of the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce.
- Prevailed in an appeal before the Alabama Supreme Court, in favor of the Defendant OBGYN and her practice group following a week-long trial in the Circuit Court of Jefferson County. On appeal, the Plaintiffs argued they were entitled to a new trial because the trial court erred by denying Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment on causation, erred in its charge to the jury and the manner in which it framed to issues to be considered by the jury, and erred in prohibiting the Plaintiffs from employing Reptile Theory tactics.
- Secured a judgment as a matter of law for a general surgeon in a wrongful death jury trial in a case involving a pulmonary embolus four days following an exploratory laparotomy for bowel obstruction.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a an OBGYN in a 6 day jury trial alleging negligence during the performance of diagnostic laparoscopy procedure, resulting a rectal perforation to the patient.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a urologist accused of negligently and wantonly allowing a retained wire fragment to remain in a patient’s urinary tract over several months following a procedure to remove kidney stones.
- Obtained a favorable opinion from the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals affirming the dismissal of a complaint arising from orthodontic care and treatment.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of two OB/GYNs in a two-week maternal death trial alleging negligent management of gestational hypertension and negligence in failing to administer diuretics in the postpartum period.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a neurosurgeon in a wrong level spinal surgery case involving allegations of a breach in the standard of care by operating at the T8-9 level instead of the intended T9-10 level.
Presentations and Publications
- Medical Malpractice Litigation and The Role of Depositions in Civil Litigation, topics presented at the Annual Conference of the Alabama & Tennessee Chapters of the American College of Emergency Physicians, Sandestin, FL (June 5-9, 2022)
- Limiting Liability in the Operating Room, American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Spring Meeting, Sandestin, FL (April 24, 2015)
- The Anesthesiologist As Witness, UAB 40th Annual Anesthesia Update, Birmingham, AL (February 18, 2012)
- Maintaining the Balance: Reconciling the Social and Judicial Costs of Medical Peer Review Protection, 52 Ala. L. Rev. 723 (2001)
News & Insights
- George Newton Appointed to ASC’s Standing Committee for the Alabama Rules of Evidence
- Starnes Attorneys Prevail in an Appeal Before the Alabama Supreme Court
- 30 Starnes Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2024
- Starnes Attorneys Win Appeal for Urologist in Medical Malpractice Case
- SDF’s Mike Wright & George Newton Win Trial for General Surgeon
- Eagan, Newton & Jones Secure Defense Verdict After a 6-Day Med Mal Trial
- 30 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2023
- SDF Attorneys Receive Various Appointments
- 29 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2022
- Joseph Reese & George Newton Selected to Serve on the Executive Committee of the Alabama Chapter of ABOTA
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021
- SDF’s Axon & Newton Obtain Defense Verdict in Five Day Trial
- Appellate Win for Starnes Davis Florie
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers 2020
- SDF Attorney George Newton Inducted Into The American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Trial Win for SDF’s Wright & Newton in Med Mal/Professional Liability Case
- SDF Attorneys Wright, Newton & King Obtain Defense Verdict in Wrongful Death Case
- Twenty-Seven SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2019
- SDF Attorneys Wright, Newton & King Obtain Favorable Judgment for ER Doctor in Wrongful Death Trial
- SDF Attorneys Wright Newton & King Obtain Defense Verdict for OB/GYN in Wrongful Death Case