Cole Gresham has been with Starnes since he graduated from law school in 2009. Cole’s practice has been devoted to complex commercial litigations with a particular emphasis on intellectual property matters.
- Rising Star in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine.
- Member of the committee charged with drafting the pattern jury instructions for the Alabama Trade Secrets Act.
Cole has served a member of the Young Supporters Board for the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center, serving as Co-Chair of the Income Development Committee in 2016. He has also been active in coaching his kids’ sports teams.
- William Marsh Rice University v. Unidym, Inc., et al. — Obtained a $7 million judgment in favor of Rice University in a breach of contract and fraud action against Unidym, Inc.
- Applied Surgical, et al. v. Stryker, Inc., et al. — Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of plaintiffs, UAB and the UAB Research Foundation, in a trade secrets dispute relating to a universal control system for electrosurgical devices;
- Steyr Arms, Inc. v. Beretta USA Corp.; Steyr Arms, Inc. v. Sig Sauer, Inc. — Currently representing Steyr Arms in patent infringement actions against Beretta and Sig Sauer;
- Resource Management Services, LLC v. Shwefler — Successfully defended our client in an action by his former employer alleging trade secret misappropriation and tortious interference;
- The Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama v. New Life Art, Inc., et al. — Represented the University of Alabama in a trademark dispute with sports artist Daniel A. Moore that has been the subject of press coverage by numerous news outlets including The New York Times, NPR, and ESPN.
- Obtained partial summary judgment dismissing all trade secrets claims against a large hedge fund in a trade secrets and fraud case related to the purchase of the international energy portfolio from the Enron bankruptcy.
- Successfully represented the University of Alabama at Birmingham (“UAB”) in patent infringement actions against Medtronic and Boston Scientific relating to an electrosurgical device and CRT-D device invented at UAB.
- Successfully represented the inventors and their company against Millennium Pharmaceuticals in a patent infringement action related to a chemotherapeutic drug.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of employees of UAB in a class action arising out of a medical research trial that has received nationwide press coverage.
Presentations and Publications
- Jay M. Ezelle and Cole R. Gresham, “Big Verdicts, Limited Discovery: The Rising Importance of Trade Secrets in Alabama,” in the Cumberland Law Review, Vol. 44, pg. 55-77 (2014).
News & Insights
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Twenty-Eight SDF Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Starnes Davis Florie Announces New Partners
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Named to Alabama Super Lawyers 2014
- Starnes Attorneys Ezelle & Gresham Publish Article in the Cumberland Law Review