Clayton Bromberg joined Starnes Davis Florie in 2007 and was named Partner in 2014. Clayton practices civil litigation with a focus on business litigation, legal malpractice defense, and representing universities in litigation, NCAA compliance matters, and internal investigations.
- Rising Star in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine.
- “Young Attorney on the Rise” in B-Metro Magazine (March 2012).
- Clayton is currently the President of the Birmingham Tip Off Club. He also serves on The Bolles School’s Board of Visitors and the Mountain Brook Sports Corporation’s Board of Directors. Clayton is also an active member of the Monday Morning Quarterback Club and The Cathedral Church of the Advent, where he is an usher.
- Clayton is a graduate of the Birmingham Bar Association Future Leaders Forum. He has also previously served as Co-Chairman of the Birmingham Chapter of the University of North Carolina Alumni Association, Vice President of Service for the Birmingham Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, and President of the Lakeshore Foundation Junior Board.
- Obtained summary judgment in a legal malpractice suit pending in the United States District Court for New Jersey arising out of an underlying patent litigation matter.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a law firm in a suit for legal malpractice pending in Federal Court arising out of an underlying will contest.
- Obtained dismissal on behalf of a major university in a case involving the alleged conversion of the rights and royalties to medical compounds used in the treatment of Hepatitis C
- Successfully represented multiple universities in NCAA investigations
- Successfully represented a major university in multiple internal investigations
- Successfully assisted high-profile college football player who was later first round NFL draft pick in NCAA investigation
- Successfully represented high-profile NFL player in civil lawsuit regarding alleged assault and battery
- Successfully represented KKR in a securities fraud case arising from the leveraged recapitalization of the Bruno’s grocery store chain
- Successfully represented a large hedge fund in a trade secrets and fraud case relating to the purchase of international energy assets from the Enron bankruptcy
- Successfully represented mortgage company in dispute with terminated employee asserting claims for fraud and breach of contract
- Successfully represented former CEO of publicly traded restaurant chain in lawsuit brought by restaurant chain alleging false association and trademark infringement
- Obtained dismissal of gender discrimination complaint filed against local restaurant owner
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a defendant colon and rectal surgeon in a seven-day trial involving the alleged cessation of steroid therapy
- Obtained a judgment as a matter of law in favor of a defendant critical care specialist arising out of the death of a 53 year old female who died in the ICU after being involved in a motor vehicle accident
Presentations and Publications
- A Ballpark Overview: The Field of Sports Law, NCAA Compliance Panel, October 13, 2017.
- Introduction to Sports Law and Special Considerations for Collegiate Sports: NCAA Compliance, National Business Institute’s Webcast on Sports Law, December 12, 2013.
- Robert P. MacKenzie, III and C. Clayton Bromberg, Jr., “Jury Misconduct What Happens Behind Closed Doors,” Alabama Law Review, Vol. 62, No. 3, pages 623-643, 2011.
- Jay M. Ezelle and C. Clayton Bromberg, Jr., “The Internal Affairs Doctrine in Alabama”, The Alabama Lawyer, Vol. 72, No. 2, Pages 143 – 147 (March 2011).
News & Insights
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to the 2020 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- COVID-19 PREMISES ALERT FOR BUSINESS AND PROPERTY OWNERS
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2019 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Bob MacKenzie, Sybil Newton, Warren Butler, and Clayton Bromberg Obtain Ruling from The Supreme Court of Alabama Affirming Dismissal of Legal Malpractice Action
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Twenty-Eight SDF Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Clayton Bromberg Successfully Represents a Homeless Man Through Birmingham Bar Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to 2015 Alabama Super Lawyers
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Named to Alabama Super Lawyers 2014
- Starnes Davis Florie Announces Its New Partners Allison Adams & Clayton Bromberg
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Elected to BBA’s 2014 Young Lawyers Executive Committee
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorney Clayton Bromberg Presents at NBI’s Webcast on Sports Law
- Twenty-Six Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Listed in Alabama Super Lawyers 2013
- Starnes Davis Florie Associates Elected Leaders of the BBA’s Young Lawyers Section
- Clayton Bromberg Named a “Rising Star” of the Birmingham Bar
- MacKenzie & Bromberg Publish Article in The Alabama Law Review
- Ezelle & Bromberg Publish Article in The Alabama Lawyer