Chris Eagan has been with the firm since graduating law school in 1987. Chris is a Partner of the firm. He has served as Chairman of the firm’s Recruiting Committee, and has served on the firm’s Executive Committee.
His practice includes work on a broad variety of litigation matters, focusing on medical malpractice defense, healthcare law, professional licensing and credentialing, Federal and State regulatory issues for hospitals and hospital risk management issues.
- Serves as an Associate of the American Board of Trial Advocates
- Listed in the 2016-2022 editions of Best Lawyers in America® for Medical Malpractice – Defendants. In addition, Best Lawyers in America® has named Chris Eagan the “Birmingham Best Lawyers Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year” for 2022
- Name a "Litigation Star" in Benchmark Litigation
- Maintains an AV Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- 2008 Birmingham Legal Secretaries Association’s Lawyer of the Year
- While attending law school at Cumberland School of Law, Chris served on the Cumberland Law Review and received the Book Award in Civil Procedure
- Served as Chair of the Medical Liaison Committee for the Birmingham Bar Association
- Chris serves on the Advisory Board of Magic Moments, a non-profit organization which grants wishes to children with life-threatening or life-altering illnesses. Chris served as Chairman of this organization in 2004, and served on the Board from 1999 to 2005.
- Chris also served on the Advisory Committee for Kairos Prison Ministry in Elmore, Alabama.
- Some of Chris’ volunteer ventures include working with the First Light Shelter, a shelter in downtown Birmingham which provides life-saving services to women and children in need of protection.
- Chris serves as a Cub Scout Leader.
- Chris attends St. Stephens Episcopal Church in Birmingham where he has served on the vestry and as an usher.
- Chris has been practicing for 30 years and he has tried over 65 complex cases to a jury.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Supreme Court of Alabama affirming the trial court’s granting of summary judgment in favor of their clients in a case involving allegations of harm caused by the long-term use of a medication.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a general surgeon and surgical group in a wrongful death case involving an intra-abdominal abscess resulting in septic shock in Calhoun County.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an internist in a wrongful death case involving an allegation that the internist failed to diagnose an esophageal perforation following gastrointestinal surgery.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an emergency room physician in a wrongful death case involving complications due to a bowel obstruction.
- Obtained a defense judgment following a three day arbitration of a nursing home malpractice case involving the death of a resident alleged to have resulted from a medication error and the failure to appropriately treat the resident’s condition and monitor the resident’s hydration status.
- Secured a Judgment as a Matter of Law after a week long trial for a hospital and three ICU nurses in a case involving an internally dislodged tracheostomy tube that resulted in a severe brain injury to the patient.
- Secured a Summary Judgment for a urologist in connection with a claim the urologist violated the standard of care with respect to performing an Acucise endopyelotomy.
- Secured a Summary Judgment for a hospital in connection with a claim concerning a patient fall.
- Secured a Summary Judgment on behalf of a hospital and an operating room nurse where the plaintiff alleged the operating room nurse, along with other defendants, failed to properly position plaintiff during a hysterectomy causing the plaintiff to develop a brachial plexus injury.
- Secured a Summary Judgment for a pediatrician in a wrongful death case where the plaintiff claimed she failed to timely and appropriately diagnose sepsis.
- Secured a Summary Judgment for a neurologist and an internist where the plaintiff claimed the physicians failed to diagnose and properly treat temporal arteritis.
- Secured a Summary Judgment for a family practitioner where the plaintiff alleged a failure to timely and appropriately address an abnormal PSA.
- Obtained a defense verdict in medical malpractice case involving obstetrical complication resulting in significant neurologic injury to newborn.
- Obtained a defense verdict in medical malpractice case against hospital involving admitted violation of the standard of care where case was defended solely on causation issues.
- Presented paper at the Annual Scientific Meeting and post-graduate course program for the Southeastern Surgical Congress in New Orleans, Louisiana, February 11-15, 2005, regarding medical malpractice issues and bariatric surgery.
- Ex parte Nail, 111 So. 3d 125 (Ala. 2012).
- Glenda Wright, as Mother and Next Friend of Donna Wright v. Northeast Alabama Regional Medical Center Board, d/b/a Northeast Alabama Regional Medical Center, Alabama Supreme Court No. 1100777.
- Brookwood Medical Center v. Lindstrom, 763 So. 2d 951 (Ala. 2000).
- Hilburn v. Ellis, 688 So. 2d 236 (Ala. 1997).
- Ex parte Northport Health Service, Inc., 682 So. 2d 52 (Ala. 1996) (Amicus).
- Keel v. Banach, 624 So. 2d 1022 (Ala. 1993).
- Levesque v. Regional Medical Center Board, 612 So. 2d 445 (Ala. 1993).
- Independent Fire Ins. Co. v. Mutual Assur. Inc., 553 So. 2d 115 (Ala. 1989).
- Long v. Hodges, 639 So. 2d 238 (Ala. 1989).
- Raise v. Wood, 540 So. 2d 643 (Ala. 1988) (Amicus).
Presentations and Publications
- Keeping Up with the Technology: Constant Changes Perpetually Impact the Practice of Medicine and Create Liability Risks, IADC Medical Defense and Health Law Committee Newsletter (June 2020).
- Anticipating and Minimizing Hearsay Objections, a 2-Day Practical Course on Advanced Civil Litigation Skills in Alabama held at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham-Wynfrey Hotel, December 17, 2015 (presentation)
- Medicare Set Asides and Liens 101, NBI Seminar “Personal Injury Claims: The Insurance Defense Perspective,” December 13, 2013 (presentation)
- Confidentiality of Medical Records, Presentation, November 2, 2012 (presentation)
- Direct Examination, Cumberland School of Law, October 18, 2012 (presentation)
- Applying the Rules of Evidence: What Every Attorney Needs to Know, National Business Institute Seminar, August 23, 2012 (presentation)
- The Discovery Process in a Medical Practice: Subpoenas, Depositions, and Court Appearances, presented to the Medical Management Association (MGMA) of Birmingham, June 21, 2012 (presentation)
- Dental Malpractice, The Standard of Care and Documentation: Does SOC = D?, UAB School of Dentistry Alumni Weekend, February 2 – 5, 2012 (presentation)
- Eagan, Walston & Starnes – Medicare Reporting Requirements and the MSPS (Medicare Secondary Payer Statute): Where DO We Go From Here?” The Alabama Self-Insurer, Winter 2010 (publication)
- “Bariatric Surgery: Malpractice Risks and Risk Management Guidelines,” The American Surgeon, May 2005, Vol. 71. p. 369 (publication)
- Medical Malpractice Guide to Misdiagnosis Cases, National Business Institute Seminar, September 22, 2011 (presentation)
- New Reporting Requirements under the Medicare Secondary Payer Statute, IADC Medical Defense and Health Law and Legislative, Judicial and Government Affairs Committees, IADC Webinar, July 2009 (presentation)
News & Insights
- TONY DAVIS & CHRIS EAGAN NAMED BEST LAWYERS “2022 LAWYER OF THE YEAR”
- 29 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2022
- Starnes Ranked as a “Highly Recommended Firm” in the 2021 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021
- Chamberlain, Eagan & Hines Publish Article in IADC’s Medical Defense & Health Law Newsletter
- Chris Eagan, Sybil Newton, and Sarah Chamberlain Obtain Favorable Ruling from the Supreme Court of Alabama
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers 2020
- Twenty-Seven SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Twenty-Six SDF Lawyers Listed in the 2018 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- SDF Attorneys Chris Eagan & Billy Bates Obtain Defense Verdict in Wrongful Death Trial
- Twenty Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Eagan and Sellers Secure Defense Verdict for Internist After 8 Day Trial
- SDF Attorneys Eagan and Sellers Secure Defense Verdict for Emergency Room Physician after Week Long Trial
- Chris Eagan Gave Presentation on “Anticipating and Minimizing Hearsay Objections”
- Eagan and Sellers Secure Defense Verdict for General Surgeon and Surgical Group in Med Mal Trial
- Twenty Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- Reese & Eagan Obtain Defense Judgment Following a Three Day Arbitration of a Nursing Home Malpractice Case
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Secure Judgment as a Matter of Law after Five Day Trial for Hospital and Three ICU Nurses
- Chris is married to a trial lawyer.
- He is the proud father of five children, ranging in ages from 7 to 27, and he just welcomed his first grand child into the world in 2017.
- He loves golf, fishing and gardening but most of all, he enjoys spending time with his large family and 2 wonderful dogs.