Brittney Claud is an associate with Starnes Davis Florie LLP. Her practice is primarily focused in the areas of nursing home and assisted living defense litigation and regulatory matters. She has experience compelling and defending claims in arbitration. Prior to joining the firm, Brittney was an associate attorney for a national defense firm in Orlando, Florida where she defended skilled nursing and assisted living facilities against negligence and wrongful death claims. Her practice also focused on medical malpractice defense and commercial litigation. She is admitted to practice in Alabama and Florida.
Brittney received her Juris Doctor magna cum laude from the Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama in May 2013 and her Bachelor of Science magna cum laude from the University of Central Florida in May 2010, with a major in legal studies and a minor in business administration.
- Brittney served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Judge Karon Bowdre, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama.
- While attending law school, Brittney served as Writing Editor of the Cumberland Law Review, was a Judge Abraham Caruthers Teaching Fellow and Scholar of Merit. She was also a Merit Scholarship recipient. She participated in various trial and moot court competitions.
- Brittney serves as Diversity Vice Chair for the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association's Women's Section.
Brittney is an active member at a local church where she serves in the nursery and as a life group leader. Previously, Brittney served as a guardian ad litem with the Orange County Legal Aid Society for numerous children suspected to be victims of parental abuse, neglect, and abandonment.
- Obtained a defense award, after a three-day Arbitration, on behalf of a nursing home in a personal injury and wrongful death case arising from resident falling from a wheelchair.
- Obtained a defense award in a personal injury case brought against a skilled nursing facility and the Director of Nursing, involving a left distal femur fracture of unknown etiology.
- Obtained a defense judgment following a two-day arbitration of a nursing home negligence and wrongful death case.
Presentations and Publications
- First Place Winner of the 2011-2012 ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee’s Law Student Writing Competition – “Enforcing Nursing Home Arbitration: The Limits of State Public Policy in Light of Brown v. Genesis Healthcare Corporation.”
News & Insights
- SDF’s Richard Davis & Brittney Claud Obtain Favorable Judgment for Family Physician in Medicare Overpayment/Recoupment Case
- Bates, Still & Claud Obtain Defense Award for a Nursing Home in Arbitration
- US Department of Labor Announces Enforcement, Effort for Focused Inspections in Hospitals, Nursing Care Facilities Treating COVID-19 Patients
- Vaccine Mandate Update: OSHA Clear to Enforce, CMS in Limbo
- Reese & Claud Obtain Defense Award in Nursing Home Case
- Biden-Harris Administration Issues Emergency Regulation Requiring COVID-19 Vaccination for Health Care Workers
- OSHA Issues Vaccine Mandate: Common Questions on OSHA’s Large Employer Vaccine Mandate
- OSHA’s Emergency Temporary Standard for Healthcare Workers
- OSHA’s National Emphasis Program – COVID-19
- Biden’s OSHA and the Likelihood of More COVID-19 Regulation
- Starnes Davis Florie Welcomes New Attorney Brittney Claud to the Firm
Brittney enjoys spending time with her husband, son, and dog. She loves traveling and the outdoors, especially the beach.