Bob MacKenzie is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie, having joined the firm in 1984 after completing law school. Bob has previously served as the firm’s Managing Partner and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and Past President of the Birmingham Bar Association.
Bob’s practice is devoted to handling a broad scope of litigation including medical and legal malpractice actions, product liability,and commercial litigation. He has tried in excess of 100 jury trials to a verdict. Bob also represents lawyers and health care professionals in disciplinary matters before Alabama Regulatory Boards. He has published multiple articles on the defense of legal malpractice suits and trial practice. Bob handles matters throughout Alabama and the Southeast.
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®. In addition, Best Lawyers in America® has named Bob MacKenzie the “Birmingham Best Lawyers Medical Malpractice Defense Lawyer of the Year” for 2013
- Past President of the Birmingham Bar Association (2015 – 2016)
- Diplomate of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) and previously served on the National Board of Directors
- Fellow of the American Bar Association
- Fellow of the International Society of Barristers and the Litigation Counsel of America
- Former Member of the Executive Committees of the Birmingham Bar Association, Birmingham Bar Foundation, and the Birmingham Bar Volunteer Association
- President Elect of the Judge Edward Horton American Inn of Court
- A Life Fellow of the Alabama Law Foundation and of the Birmingham Bar Foundation
- Top Leading Litigator by Chambers USA
- Super Lawyer in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine
- Named “Litigation Star” in Benchmark Litigation
- An AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review RatingsTM
- Bob serves as a member of the Dean’s Advisory Board for Cumberland School of Law.
- He previously served as Chairman for the Board from 2008-2010.
- He is the past chairman of the 2005-2006 Cumberland School of Law Alumni Fundraising Campaign and was selected as the school’s “Volunteer of the Year” for 2006.
- Bob is actively involved at the Cathedral Church of the Advent.
- He and his wife, Jeanie have three children.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of an oral and maxillofacial surgeon in a case involving a bilateral total joint replacement of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ).
- Obtained a defense verdict for a defendant gynecologist in a case alleging negligent failure to diagnose breast cancer, resulting in a mastectomy and chemotherapy.
- Removal and dismissal of legal malpractice claim against out of state attorney and law firm.
- Obtained summary judgment in a legal malpractice suit pending in the United States District Court for New Jersey arising out of an underlying patent litigation matter.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a law firm in a suit for legal malpractice pending in Federal Court arising out of an underlying will contest.
- Obtained defense verdict for an addiction medicine physician in case arising out of care provided during the patient’s detoxification.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of an anesthesiologist in a case arising out of a cervical epidural block which led to a spinal cord injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an OB/GYN after a five day trial in a case arising out of pregnancy complications.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of two pathologists in a case arising out of a false positive interpretation of breast tissue which led to unnecessary surgery.
- Obtained summary judgment in legal malpractice action arising out of alleged negligent failure to properly construct a multi-million dollar bond issue. Decision was affirmed by written opinion issued by the Alabama Supreme Court.
Presentations and Publications
- Make Your New Year Happy – Avoid a Suit for Legal Malpractice, CLE by the Bundle/Cumberland, Birmingham, AL, December 20, 2018.
- Direct & Cross Examination of Expert Witnesses , Cumberland School of Law, Birmingham, AL, March 28, 2017.
- Ethical Issues Facing Attorneys, James E. Horton Inn of Court, Birmingham, AL, March 21, 2017.
- Avoiding Suits for Legal Malpractice, Charles G. Pittman Attorneys at Law, Brentwood, TN, March 10, 2017.
- Alabama State Bar Professionalism, New Admitted Members of the Alabama State Bar, Cumberland School of Law, Birmingham, AL, October 23, 2015.
- Direct & Cross Examination of Expert Witnesses, Alabama Defense Trial Academy, Birmingham, AL, August 7, 2015.
- Cross Examination of Plaintiff’s Expert Witness, Alabama Defense Lawyers Association Trial Academy, Cumberland School of Law, Birmingham, AL, August 8, 2014.
- Common Oversights That Lead to Malpractice Claims, Attorneys Insurance Mutual Of the South, Inc., Mobile, AL, November 8, 2013.
- Ethics: Avoiding a Suit for Legal Malpractice, The Judge James Edwin Horton American Inn of Court, Birmingham, AL, October 22, 2013.
News & Insights
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to the 2020 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021
- STARNES DAVIS FLORIE RANKED A TOP FIRM BY CHAMBERS USA 2020
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2019 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Bob MacKenzie, Sybil Newton, Warren Butler, and Clayton Bromberg Obtain Ruling from The Supreme Court of Alabama Affirming Dismissal of Legal Malpractice Action
- SDF Attorneys MacKenzie, Bates & Davis Obtain Defense Verdict After 6-Day Trial
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers 2020
- Starnes Davis Florie Ranked A Top Firm By Chambers USA 2019
- Eight Starnes Attorneys Named Leaders in their Field in Chambers USA 2019
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Twenty-Seven SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2019
- Starnes Attorneys Joe Miller & Bob MacKenzie Obtain Defense Verdict for OB/GYN
- SDF Ranked A Top Firm by Chambers USA 2018
- 8 SDF Partners Named “Leaders in their Field” in Chambers USA 2018
- Twenty-Eight SDF Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Six SDF Lawyers Listed in the 2018 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- SDF Attorneys Joe Miller & Bob MacKenzie Obtain Defense Verdict in Professional Liability Case
- Starnes Davis Florie Receives Top Tier Ranking in Chambers USA 2017
- Seven Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Named “Leaders in their Field” in Chambers USA 2017
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers