Bennett White has been with the firm since 2006. He has defended hospitals, long term care facilities, and physicians of almost every specialty and subspecialty. He has also handled product liability matters and business disputes for plaintiffs and defendants, and has served as lead counsel in personal injury and wrongful death cases involving train, plane, and ATV accidents. Bennett has served as Chairman of the Firm’s Recruiting committee and as the firm’s Associate Training Partner.
Bennett has been continuously recognized in publications such as Mid-South Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, and Chambers USA. Chambers USA describes him as “very good in trial with good business sense.” Chambers USA further notes, “A lot of lawyers claim to handle litigation but few regularly have to stand up and advocate in trial, but he really can.”
- Top Leading Litigator by Chambers USA.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®.
- Selected to participate in the Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum.
- Named one of Birmingham Business Journal's Rising Stars of Law for 2017.
- Named a Super Lawyer for the state of Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine.
- Named a Rising Star for the state of Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine.
- Served on the Board of Directors of the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association.
- Recognized as a Fellow in the American Bar Association.
- Served as an Editor of the Alabama Law Review.
- Graduated magna cum laude from Hampden-Sydney College, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and received numerous awards and honors, including the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award, the school’s highest honor.
- Prior to attending law school, Bennett taught third grade for two years in the Mississippi Delta, through Teach for America. He continues to stay involved in local educational programs.
- Former member of Impact Alabama’s Board of Directors.
- Regularly speaks at conferences on topics related to litigation. He is currently an Adjunct Professor at Cumberland School of Law.
- Serves on the Board of Trustees of the Emmet O’Neal Library.
- Serves on the Board of Directors of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Birmingham.
- Serves on the Mountain Brook City Schools Foundation Board of Directors, where he is President-Elect.
- Serves on the Board of Directors of Mountain Brook Athletics.
- Serves as a member of the Monday Morning Quarterback Club and has held leadership roles and served on the boards of numerous charitable organizations.
- Serves on the Grievance Committee of the Birmingham Bar Association.
- Member of Independent Presbyterian Church, where he serves as an Elder.
- Bennett enjoys coaching his three boys in youth sports.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a 6-day wrongful death case in favor of a defendant, Hospitalist, in a case alleging failure to ensure that a patient was placed on necessary cardiac monitoring.
- After an eight-day trial, secured a defense verdict in a medical malpractice wrongful death case in favor of a radiology practice group, involving allegations of negligently failing to detect a DVT on a doppler ultrasound.
- Following a nine-day trial, obtained a defense verdict for a defendant Hospitalist in a case alleging injuries from an alleged failure to diagnose spinal cord compression.
- Obtained a defense verdict, after a 7-day trial, for a defendant gynecologic oncologist in a case alleging negligent failure to diagnose and treat post-operative bleeding and hemorrhagic shock, resulting in the death of a patient who underwent a robotic and laparoscopic procedure for suspected ovarian cancer.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a family practice physician in a case involving paralysis and wrongful death.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a family practice physician in Madison County in a case alleging wrongful death after prescribing antibiotics for community acquired pneumonia.
- Obtained complete dismissal of claims against a security management company related to the wrongful death of a minor.
- Obtained a defense verdict for an obstetrician in a case involving a skull fracture, intracranial hemorrhage and alleged neurological injury following a forceps delivery.
- Obtained directed verdict on behalf of OB/GYN in a double wrongful death case involving an obstetrical patient and her baby.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of urologist in a suit alleging negligence in the performance of a radical prostatectomy – the trial court’s order of summary judgment was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a family practitioner and his professional corporation in a wrongful death case involving complications arising from an exercise stress test.
- Obtained directed verdict on behalf of defendant neurosurgeon in case involving alleged malpractice in the performance of a spinal surgery which allegedly caused plaintiff to suffer severe neurological injuries.
- Obtained complete dismissal of a defendant’s counterclaim for breach of contract and fraud on behalf of Fortune 500 document management company.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of dentist involving alleged injuries arising out of the extraction of teeth and delivery of dentures.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of general surgeons in a personal injury case involving complications secondary to abdominoplasty.
Presentations and Publications
- Bennett served as Faculty for the 2023 Alabama Defense Lawyers Association (Bibb Allen Memorial) Trial Academy (ADLA) on August 10th & 11th, 2023.
News & Insights
- 30 Starnes Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2024
- SDF Attorneys MacKenzie & White Obtain Defense Verdict in 6-Day Wrongful Death Trial
- Starnes Attorney Bennett White Serves as Faculty for the 2023 ADLA Trial Academy
- Starnes Davis Florie Ranked a Top Law Firm by Chambers USA 2023
- Bennett White & Billy Bates Secure a Defense Verdict in an 8-Day Wrongful Death Trial
- 16 Starnes Attorneys Listed in the 2022 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- 30 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2023
- STARNES DAVIS FLORIE RANKED A TOP FIRM BY CHAMBERS USA 2022
- SDF Attorneys MacKenzie & White Win Nine-Day Trial for Hospitalist
- SDF Attorneys White & Eagan Obtain Defense Verdict in 7-Day Trial
- TWENTY-TWO ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2021 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- 29 SDF ATTORNEYS LISTED IN BEST LAWYERS IN AMERICA 2022
- STARNES DAVIS FLORIE RANKED A TOP FIRM BY CHAMBERS USA 2021
- White, Newton & Bates Secure Favorable Ruling in Supreme Court Opinion
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to the 2020 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- STARNES DAVIS FLORIE RANKED A TOP FIRM BY CHAMBERS USA 2020
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2019 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers 2020
- Starnes Davis Florie Ranked A Top Firm By Chambers USA 2019
- Eight Starnes Attorneys Named Leaders in their Field in Chambers USA 2019