Andy is a partner whose diverse practice includes the areas of product liability, mining/blasting/subsidence liability, workers’ compensation, commercial disputes, federal black lung, and construction defects. Andy has also effectively handled mineral right disputes, environmental and toxic tort claims, and employment matters. He attended undergraduate at Birmingham-Southern College and law school at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. Andy is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® for Workers' Compensation Law
- Rising Star for the State of Alabama in Alabama Super Lawyers® magazine
- 2018 Top Attorney for Banking Litigation by Birmingham Magazine
- Community Chair for DRI’s Trial Tactic Committee
- Young Lawyers Liaison for DRI’s Workers’ Compensation Committee
Andy is involved and assists with Boy Scout Troop 97.
- Obtained full dismissal of silica exposure claim filed by an independent contractor of a coke production facility.
- Obtained a defense verdict for employer in workers’ compensation case in which the employee alleged he was permanently and totally disabled as a result of a back injury suffered on the job.
- Obtained a complete dismissal of an employee’s suit alleging injuries arising from an on-the-job electrocution.
- Obtained complete dismissal of coal mining company from case in which plaintiff trucking company sought indemnity for its liability under the Federal Black Lung Benefits Act. Dismissal was affirmed by the Alabama Supreme Court following oral argument.
- Obtained full summary judgment on behalf of an employer in an occupational butanol exposure matter.
- Obtained full dismissal of claims by more than 120 plaintiffs for a distributor defendant in multiple asbestos lawsuits.
- Obtained full summary judgment on behalf of a mining company in a mining subsidence suit wherein plaintiff claimed damages related to alleged trespass, nuisance, negligence, wantonness,strict liability, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and breach of duty to provide subjacent support.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a coal mining company against allegations of nuisance, trespass, negligence, wantonness, and breach of duty to provide subjacent support.
- Represented a large property and casualty insurer in Mississippi against claims of fraud, civil RICO and Sherman Antitrust allegations.
- Represented Alabama Municipality against claims brought by its Mayor and former Council Member.
- Obtained defense verdict in a workers’ compensation matter wherein the employee claimed cumulative trauma to the neck.
- Obtained full summary judgment for two supervisory employees, where plaintiff sought claims pursuant to Alabama’s co-employee liability statute.
Presentations and Publications
- Alabama Workers’ Compensation Update, Bass Pro Group, LLC, Meeting of Counsel, Springfield, Missouri (May 15, 2017)
- Complex Workers’ Compensation Issues Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama (December 8, 2014)
- Harper ex. Rel. Harper v. Banks, Finley, White & Co of Mississippi, P.C., 136 So.3d 462 (Miss. Civ. App. 2014)
- Fleetwood Trucking Company, Inc. v. Cahaba Resources, LLC, _So.3d_, 2014 WL 3012661 (Ala. July 3, 2014)
- Ethical Issues in Workers’ Compensation Cases, Workers’ Compensation Hearings: Techniques and Strategies for Success Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama (April, 2012).
- Homework from a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer: Update Your Forms. P. Andrew Laird, Jr. & Jeremiah J. Rogers. Alabama Self-Insurers Association Journal (Volume 4, Winter 2011).
- Nothing to LOL About: Social Media Issues in the Law. P. Andrew Laird, Jr. & Jeremiah Rogers. The Voice (March 16, 2011)
- Alabama Supreme Court Upholds $50,000 Retaliatory Discharge Claim in Workers’ Compensation Case. Starnes Davis Florie Labor & Employment Bulletin (March 2011)
- Investigation and Preparation Considerations for Trial, Premises Liability Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama (December 2006)
- Ex parte State of Alabama, 903 So. 2d 56 (Ala. 2006)
- Defending Occupational Disease Claims, Workers’ Compensation Update, Birmingham, Alabama (August 2003)
- Brooks v. J. C. Penney Life Ins. Co., 231 F. Supp. 2d 1136 (N.D. Ala. 2002)
News & Insights
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers 2020
- SDF Attorneys Davis, Dickens, & Laird Named “Top Attorneys” in the 2018 April Issue of Birmingham Magazine
- SDF ALERT: Alabama’s Workers Comp Law Unconstitutional?
- SDF Attorneys Laird & DeBuys Secure Defense Verdict in a Workers’ Compensation Case
- Federal Black Lung Litigation Practice Group -Blog Post
- Twenty-Two Starnes Attorneys Listed in Alabama Super Lawyers
- Twenty Starnes Attorneys Listed in Alabama Super Lawyers
Andy enjoys spending time with his family, listening to live music, and exercising outdoors.