Amber is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie. Her practice is devoted to civil litigation including professional liability defense, financial services claims, construction litigation, and appellate advocacy. She also advises clients regarding regulatory compliance in the healthcare fields.
- Fellow of the Birmingham Bar Foundation
- Rising Star for the state of Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine
- AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
- Listed in Birmingham’s B-Metro Magazine’s “Top Women Lawyers”
- Listed in Birmingham’s B-Metro Magazine’s 2018 “Top Lawyers” List
- Represents clients on a pro bono basis through Turning Point, a City of Birmingham Municipal Court program for homeless individuals.
- Serves as a member of the Board of Directors for the Birmingham Bar Volunteer Lawyers Program.
- Serves as the membership chair for the Birmingham Ultra Trail Society.
- Active supporter of local parks including Ruffner Mountain and Red Mountain Park.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Alabama Court of Civil appeals affirming a trial court’s defense verdict on behalf of their client, a multi-state corporation from a suit arising out of a former employee’s claim for workers’ compensation benefits.
- Obtained a favorable opinion from the Supreme Court of Alabama reversing and remanding a trial court’s denial of a client’s request to compel arbitration of claims filed against his business in Baldwin County, Alabama.
- Obtained complete summary judgment in favor of retailer in premises liability case
- Obtained dismissal on behalf of municipal employees of personal injury and property damage claims based on construction of school
- Obtained a defense judgment, which was affirmed on appeal, on behalf of a municipality following federal trial of Clean Water Act and state common law claims involving allegations of stormwater damage by an adjacent property owner
- Represented coal mining operators in administrative and state court actions involving appeals of permits issued by the state environmental and surface mining agencies
- Represented a client in a CERCLA contribution and cost recovery action pertaining to the Alabama Wood Treating Corporation site in Mobile, Alabama
- Represented chemical waste generator in litigation involving personal injury claims arising from explosion of chemical waste
- Obtained summary judgment for civil engineering firm on all claims asserted by developer and homeowners who alleged professional malpractice and negligence in design of mass grading plans for subdivision.
Presentations and Publications
- “When the Job Isn’t Done: The Surety’s Bond Exposure After Project Completion,” presented and published at the Southern Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference, April 19, 2018 (Clearwater, FL).
- “Environmental Law and Accountants’ Liability,” presented and published at the 29th Annual Governmental Accounting and Auditing Forum hosted by Alabama Society of Certified Public Accounts and the Association of Government Accountants and Governmental Financial Officers Association of Alabama, December 1, 2016 (Birmingham, AL).
- “Efficiency Guarantees under Surety Bond” and “Impact of Principal’s Bankruptcy,” presented at the 2016 Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, April 21, 2016 (Charleston, SC).
- “Alabama Lien Law,” seminar for the National Association of Credit Management, September 10, 2015 (Birmingham, AL)
- “Environmental Law: What Every Accountant Should Know,” seminar for the Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants, August 31, 2015 (Huntsville, AL) and August 13, 2015 (Mobile, AL)
- “Sources of Recovery and Liens,” a publication presented at two seminars hosted by the National Business Institute, October 22, 2014 (Huntsville, AL) and October 23, 2014 (Birmingham, AL)
- “EPCRA Tier II Requirements: A Guide for Hazardous Chemical Inventory Reporting,” The EnLaw, Volume 19, No. 1 (Winter 2013)
News & Insights
- SDF’s Gerheim & Whillock Obtained Favorable Ruling from the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals Affirming Defense Verdict
- Starnes Attorneys Phil Piggott & Amber Whillock Win Trial for Real Estate Developer
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- SDF Attorneys Bates, Walston & Whillock Named to B-Metro’s 2018 Top Lawyers List
- Twenty-Eight SDF Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- SDF Attorneys Obtain Favorable Opinion From Supreme Court of Alabama
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Starnes Attorneys Present at the 2016 Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference
- SDF Attorney Amber Whillock Honored by The Alabama Supreme Court for Her Pro Bono Service
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to 2015 Alabama Super Lawyers
- Starnes Davis Florie Announces Its New Partner Amber Whillock
- SDF Attorneys Harrison & Whillock Present at Two NBI Seminars
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Named to Alabama Super Lawyers 2014
- Starnes Attorneys Davis and Whillock Obtain Affirmance by Eleventh Circuit of Defense Verdict in Clean Water Act and Inverse Condemnation Case
- Starnes Attorneys R. Davis & Whillock Assist Client in Obtaining No Further Action Determination from EPA
- Twenty-Six Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Listed in Alabama Super Lawyers 2013
- Starnes Davis Florie Obtains Fourth Consecutive Affirmance of Surface Mining Client’s NPDES Permit
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorney Amber Whillock Publishes Article in The Enlaw
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Obtain Defense Verdict on Behalf of City in Clean Water Act and Inverse Condemnation Case
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Obtain Summary Judgment for Industrial Client in Air Emissions Case
- Amber started running in the fall of 2015 and has since completed her first 50K ultra marathon with the help of the coaches at Resolute Running in Homewood.
- She is a mom to two boys – Graham and Everett.