Alfred’s practice has been devoted to defending civil litigation primarily in the areas of labor and employment, product liability and municipal liability. He has represented public and private entities in both federal and state court, agency proceedings and arbitrations. Alfred has defended manufacturers, restaurants, universities, municipalities and professionals among his clients.
- Alfred is an active member of his church, serving in the worship ministry and the photography ministry.
- Alfred has served as an adjunct professor of Trial Advocacy at the University of Alabama School of Law.
- Alfred has served as a board member of a church-affiliated daycare.
- Obtained Favorable 11th Circuit Decision in a Case Alleging Violations of the Rehabilitation Act and the FLSA.
- McElroy v. Kinderknecht – obtained summary judgment in favor of a municipality and its police officer in an excessive force claim asserted under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and state law when a police officer used force after an individual holding several knives threw one at the officer.
- Cruce Corder v. City of Bessemer – obtained summary judgment in favor of a municipality against a former employee’s claim of discrimination in retaliation after she was terminated based on her physical inability to perform the duties of her position.
- Johnson v. City of Bessemer – obtained full summary judgment on behalf of municipality, Mayor, Fire Chief and Fire Captain in claim asserted by firefighter alleging violation of his First Amendment rights when he was suspended for social media posts.
- Hunt v. Altec Industries, Inc. – Obtained full summary judgment on behalf of employer in claims asserted by former employee under the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Crowe v. Boatright Railroad Cos., Inc. – obtained dismissal of suit filed by former employee alleging that employer terminated her in retaliation for her opposition to an alleged hospital work environment.
- Phillips v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – obtained summary judgment in favor of manufacturer in product liability litigation where Plaintiff alleged he sustained injuries to his feet while riding an all-terrain vehicle.
- Garland v. Honda North America, Inc. – obtained defense verdict for a manufacturer in warranty litigation involving an all-terrain vehicle.
Presentations and Publications
- Prognostications into the Future of HR under a Trump Administration, Birmingham Society for Human Resource Management, December 14, 2016
- The Impact of HR Investigations on Litigation, November 1, 2016
- Social Media and Employment Law, University of Alabama’s Employment Law Update CLE, December 17, 2015
- Professionally Interacting with Alabama’s Courts – Practical Advice for the New Lawyer, CLE Sponsored by Circuit Court Judges Eugene R. Verin and Annetta H. Verin, and the Alabama Lawyers Association, June 20, 2014
- Individual Capacity Claims Against Government Employees, National Business Institute Seminar, Legal Issues Involving Local Governments, July 30, 2013
- Lessons Learned from Mock Depositions, HR Counsel Meeting, Ashville, NC, April 20, 2013
- Employer’s Liability for Workplace Violence, Managing Violence in the Workplace Seminar, Samford University, April 12, 2013
- Common Liability Issues, Police Liability Seminar, October 2011
News & Insights
- Should You Have An Arbitration Agreement With Your Employees?
- SDF Attorneys Perkins and Young Obtain Favorable 11th Circuit Decision in a Case Alleging Violations of the Rehabilitation Act and the FLSA
- Umbach, Perkins, Davis, & Vinson Participate in the Alabama Trucking Association’s Annual Mock Trial
- SDF Attorneys Perkins and Presley Obtain Favorable Ruling on Behalf of a Police Officer
- Alfred Perkins Featured in “Attorney At Law Magazine” for His Employment, Products Liability & Government Torts Practice
- Labor & Employment Bulletin – March 22, 2016
- Starnes Davis Florie’s Labor & Employment Practice Group Bulletin
- Labor & Employment Bulletin – March 2014
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Obtain Affirmance from the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals