Alfred’s practice has been devoted to defending civil litigation primarily in the areas of labor and employment, product liability and municipal liability. He has represented public and private entities in both federal and state court, agency proceedings and arbitrations. Alfred has defended manufacturers, restaurants, universities, municipalities and professionals among his clients.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® for Labor & Employment Litigation
- Named “Litigation Star” in Benchmark Litigation
- Top Leading Litigator by Chambers USA
- Alfred is an active member of his church, serving in the worship ministry and the photography ministry.
- Alfred has served as an adjunct professor of Trial Advocacy at the University of Alabama School of Law.
- Alfred has served as a board member of a church-affiliated daycare.
- Obtained defense verdict in a jury trial in federal court for a municipality in a case involving allegations of gender discrimination.
- Obtained Favorable 11th Circuit Decision in a Case Alleging Violations of the Rehabilitation Act and the FLSA.
- McElroy v. Kinderknecht – obtained summary judgment in favor of a municipality and its police officer in an excessive force claim asserted under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 and state law when a police officer used force after an individual holding several knives threw one at the officer.
- Cruce Corder v. City of Bessemer – obtained summary judgment in favor of a municipality against a former employee’s claim of discrimination in retaliation after she was terminated based on her physical inability to perform the duties of her position.
- Johnson v. City of Bessemer – obtained full summary judgment on behalf of municipality, Mayor, Fire Chief and Fire Captain in claim asserted by firefighter alleging violation of his First Amendment rights when he was suspended for social media posts.
- Hunt v. Altec Industries, Inc. – Obtained full summary judgment on behalf of employer in claims asserted by former employee under the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Crowe v. Boatright Railroad Cos., Inc. – obtained dismissal of suit filed by former employee alleging that employer terminated her in retaliation for her opposition to an alleged hospital work environment.
- Phillips v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – obtained summary judgment in favor of manufacturer in product liability litigation where Plaintiff alleged he sustained injuries to his feet while riding an all-terrain vehicle.
- Garland v. Honda North America, Inc. – obtained defense verdict for a manufacturer in warranty litigation involving an all-terrain vehicle.
Presentations and Publications
- Algorithmic Bias: The Law’s Newest Frontier and How it Affects Litigation and Your Firm, International Association of Defense Council (IADC) Midyear Meeting, February 28, 2019
- Prognostications into the Future of HR under a Trump Administration, Birmingham Society for Human Resource Management, December 14, 2016
- The Impact of HR Investigations on Litigation, November 1, 2016
- Social Media and Employment Law, University of Alabama’s Employment Law Update CLE, December 17, 2015
- Professionally Interacting with Alabama’s Courts – Practical Advice for the New Lawyer, CLE Sponsored by Circuit Court Judges Eugene R. Verin and Annetta H. Verin, and the Alabama Lawyers Association, June 20, 2014
- Individual Capacity Claims Against Government Employees, National Business Institute Seminar, Legal Issues Involving Local Governments, July 30, 2013
- Lessons Learned from Mock Depositions, HR Counsel Meeting, Ashville, NC, April 20, 2013
- Employer’s Liability for Workplace Violence, Managing Violence in the Workplace Seminar, Samford University, April 12, 2013
- Common Liability Issues, Police Liability Seminar, October 2011
News & Insights
- L&E News Alert: Biden’s Executive Order & the Effect on Non-Competes
- L&E News Alert: Alabama Unemployment (UI) Fraud and Abuse
- STARNES DAVIS FLORIE RANKED A TOP FIRM BY CHAMBERS USA 2021
- Starnes Ranked as a “Highly Recommended Firm” in the 2021 Edition of Benchmark Litigation
- The Families First Coronavirus Response Act Set to Expire in 2021
- Alabama Employers Are Now Required to Notify Separated Employees About Potential Unemployment Benefits
- SDF Attorneys Perkins and Whillock Obtain Defense Verdict for Fortune 500 Company
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2021
- Employment News Alert: Supreme Court Rules Title VII Protects LGBTQ Employees From Discrimination
- The Impact of OSHA’s Revised Guidance on Reporting & Recording for Non-Healthcare Employers
- Should Employers Issue Travel Authorization Letters or Other Documentation to Employees?
- FFCRA Poster & Guidance Now Available From DOL
- COVID-19 PREMISES ALERT FOR BUSINESS AND PROPERTY OWNERS
- Coronavirus Sick Leave & School Closing Leave Policy
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act Passes with Less Burden on Employers
- Alabama Workers Affected by Coronavirus Can File for Unemployment Benefits
- WHAT EMPLOYERS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE FAMILIES FIRST CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE ACT
- Alfred Perkins is Selected to the Faculty of the IADC Trial Academy
- Labor & Employment News Alert – 2020: A New Year Full of New Rules
- SDF’s Labor & Employment Practice Group News Alert- September 2019