Alex Wood, a native of Mobile, is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie. Before joining the firm, Alex clerked for The Honorable Charles A. Graddick, Presiding Judge of the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit, Mobile County, Alabama.
- Rising Star for state of Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine
- AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Bench and Bar Legal Honor Society, University of Alabama School of Law
- Trial Advocacy Competition Team, University of Alabama School of Law
- Student Judicial Board for the University of Alabama
- George Peach Taylor Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy, University of Alabama School of Law
- Mobile Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute Young Lawyers Committee
- Defense Research Institute Retail & Hospitality Section
- UMS-Wright Preparatory School Young Alumni Panel
- Deborah Harris v. Target Stores, Inc. (U. S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama) – M. Warren Butler and Alex Wood obtained complete summary judgment and dismissal of all claims in favor of a national retailer on an open and obvious theory wherein the Plaintiff allegedly tripped and fell on a metal barricade and sustained a broken arm.
- Celeste Lambert v. Autry Greer & Sons, Inc. Obtained summary judgment in a premises liability case on an open and obvious theory wherein the Plaintiff allegedly tripped and fell on a metal panel and sustained neck injuries resulting in an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion.
- Cheryl Phillips v. Autry Greer & Sons, Inc. – Obtained defense verdict in the Circuit Court of Mobile County, Alabama in a personal injury case filed against a regional grocer for damages allegedly sustained by Plaintiff when she allegedly slipped and fell in water in the store.
- Linda Marbles v. Target Corporation – Obtained complete dismissal of a personal injury action filed against a national retailer on claims for negligence related to a slip and fall incident in front of a water fountain.
- Mildred Sims v. Winn-Dixie Montgomery, LLC – Obtained complete dismissal of personal injury action filed against national grocery store chain on claims of negligence and wantonness arising out of a trip and fall incident on a floor mat at the store entrance.
- The Estate of Marie Carr v. Food Giant Supermarkets, Inc. – Obtained complete dismissal of a personal injury action filed against a national grocer on claims for negligence and wantonness for damages allegedly sustained by Plaintiff when she tripped and fell over a parking block in a handicapped parking space outside the store. Plaintiff alleged the subject handicapped parking space violated the Americans with Disabilities Act and asserted a cause of action for negligence per se for the alleged violation of the statute.
- Beverly Tunstall v. Georgia-Pacific Brewton LLC, et al – Obtained summary judgment on behalf of three co-employee defendants on claims asserted against them for willful misconduct by their fellow employee for the alleged failure to install, repair and/or maintain a safety device while operating a forklift in a plant for a national paper mill factory.
- Johnson v. LifeSouth Community Blood Centers, Inc. – Obtained complete dismissal of a personal injury action filed against a blood donor center related to a syncopal episode following a donation by a patient who collapsed and sustained bodily injuries.
- La Cora Griffin v. Food Giant Supermarkets, Inc. – Obtained complete dismissal of alleged claims of unlawful race and gender-based employment discrimination, harassment, and retaliation against regional grocer.
- Obtained a summary judgment in favor of a nursing home in a wrongful death case where the plaintiff’s decedent alleged that the nursing personnel breached the standard of care in their treatment of the resident.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of global insurance carrier seeking recovery of unpaid deductibles owed by the insured construction company/developers as a result of the defense and indemnity provided by the carrier to the insureds resulting from the alleged defects in Chinese Drywall.
- McGallagher v. Burkes Mechanical – Obtained summary judgment in favor of mechanical contractor where plaintiff asserted personal injury claims for injury sustained while on client’s premises.
- Webb v. Avis – Obtained complete dismissal of a national rental car company on claims for negligent entrustment and agency related to a motor vehicle accident involving the owner of one of its franchisees.
- Kyles v. Winn-Dixie Montgomery, LLC – Obtained complete dismissal of a personal injury action filed against a national grocery store chain on claims for negligence related to a slip and fall incident.
Presentations and Publications
- Documentation: Just Do It, Pensacola, Florida, (February 25, 2016)
- “Responding to a Complaint: Alabama,” Practical Law Litigation (Spring 2015).
- M. Warren Butler and Alex T. Wood, “Initial Considerations in Defending a Lawsuit,” DRI: A Young Lawyer’s Guide to Defense Practice Chapter 8, 2015.
- “Caught on Camera – Now What?,” For the Defense, Feb. 2013, at 29.
- The Witness Stand, presented to Supervisors and Human Resource Managers in Pensacola, FL, February 24, 2015.
News & Insights
- Mobile County Retailer Alert
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Business Interruption, Property Damage, and Other Insurance Coverage Issues
- Alabama Closes Nonessential Businesses Statewide
- COVID-19 PREMISES ALERT FOR BUSINESS AND PROPERTY OWNERS
- Labor & Employment News Alert – 2020: A New Year Full of New Rules
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2019 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- SDF’s Labor & Employment Practice Group News Alert- September 2019
- Labor & Employment News Alert: Alabama Equal Pay Act
- DEPARTMENT OF LABOR (AGAIN) PROPOSES TO INCREASE SALARY THRESHOLD FOR OVERTIME EXEMPTIONS
- THIRTY-ONE SDF ATTORNEYS NAMED TO THE 2018 EDITION OF MID-SOUTH SUPER LAWYERS
- Should You Have An Arbitration Agreement With Your Employees?
- Twenty-Eight SDF Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Starnes Davis Florie Names Four New Partners to the Firm
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Labor & Employment Practice Group Bulletin – November 2015
- Starnes Davis Florie Labor & Employment Practice Group Bulletin – July 2015
- Butler and Wood Publish Article in DRI: A Young Lawyer’s Guide to Defense Practice
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to 2015 Alabama Super Lawyers
- Butler and Wood Obtain Defense Verdict for Regional Grocer in Personal Injury Case
- Starnes Davis Florie’s Labor & Employment Practice Group Bulletin
Alex and her husband, David, welcomed triplets in October 2016.