Todd Huntley became an associate with Starnes Davis Florie after graduating from law school in 2000. Since that time he has become a partner and currently sits on the firm’s executive committee and serves as the co-chair of the firm’s recruiting committee. Todd’s practice is devoted to civil litigation to include professional medical liability, health care litigation, pharmaceutical and medical device litigation, long-term care litigation and representing health care providers before professional licensing boards. He has tried multiple complex cases to a verdict on behalf of health care providers and corporations.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2018
- Todd takes pride in being a part of the Birmingham community.
- He is a member of Trinity United Methodist Church in Homewood, Alabama.
- He has served as leadership on the church’s Administrative Board, Board of Trustees, Staff Parish Relactions Committee and Stewardship Committee.
- He has been extremely active in promoting and coaching youth sports throughout Alabama and the Birmingham area.
- Successfully defended an addiction medicine physician in a wrongful death suit arising out of care provided during the patient’s detoxification.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a radiologist in an eight day wrongful death trial arising from allegations of failure to diagnose the patient’s brain aneurysm.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a Surgery Center arising from an alleged injury occurring during the recovery period following a nerve block.
- Successfully defended two surgeons in a matter involving allegations that the patient’s death was the result of failing to timely place a thoracoscopy tube in a patient with a pneumothorax and failing to timely perform a thoracotomy to address a hemothorax.
- Obtained a jury verdict for two emergency medicine physicians in a case involving allegations that they failed to diagnose a myocardial infarction or impending infarction during their evaluations.
- Successfully obtained a verdict in Federal District Court for a neurosurgeon in a spinal cord injury case arising from complications secondary to a foraminotomy.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a surgeon in a personal injury case involving complications arising from a retained foreign body following hernia surgery.
- Instrumental in obtaining the first published opinion in Alabama enforcing an arbitration agreement entered into between a long-term care facility and one of its residents.
- Successfully defended a surgeon in a case involving an incidental surgical fire during the removal of a facial lesion.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a surgeon in a case involving his care and treatment of a colonic perforation.
Presentations and Publications
- “A Broader View of Neonatal Encephalopathy: Defending the Health Care Provider” as part of the DRI Medical Liability and Health Care Law Seminar, March 12, 2015 (San Francisco, CA).
- Walter W. Bates, R. Todd Huntley, William S. Starnes, Jr., “Ten Tips for Direct Examination and Cross-Examination,” 39:2 Am. J. Trial Advoc. 339 (2015).
- “Top Tips for Litigators” as part of a CLE entitled Trial Skills, December 19, 2016 (Birmingham, AL).
- “How to Present Your Case at Trial” as part of a CLE entitled Building Your Civil Trial Skills, August 12, 2014 (Birmingham, AL).
- “How to Present Your Case at Trial” as part of a CLE entitled Building Your Civil Trial Skills, December 21, 2012 (Birmingham, AL).
- “Medicine 101 For Attorneys” as part of a CLE entitled Medical Malpractice From A-Z, September 22, 2011 (Birmingham, AL)
- “Ethics Update”, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association, April 30, 2011 (Perdido Beach, FL).
News & Insights
- Twenty-Six SDF Lawyers Listed in the 2018 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- Bates, Huntley & Starnes Publish Article in the American Journal of Trial Advocacy
- SDF Attorneys Mike Wright and Todd Huntley Obtain Judgment as a Matter of Law on Behalf of General Surgeon
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys MacKenzie & Huntley Obtain Defense Verdict for Addiction Medicine Doctor
- Starnes Davis Florie Lawyers Axon & Huntley Secure Dismissal on Appeal
- Starnes Attorneys Secure Defense Verdict in an Eight Day Trial
- Axon & Huntley Obtained Defense Verdict in a Medical Malpractice Case
- Bates & Huntley Obtain Defense Verdict for Two Surgeons
- Huntley and Bates Obtain Jury Verdict in Favor of Emergency Physicians
- Todd enjoys spending his free time with his wife, Emily, and their three children.
- If there is any time left over, he loves playing tennis and golf and, of course, watching college football.
- Speaking of golf, he’s made one hole in one in his life . . . on a skulled 8 iron that deserved to be in the bottom of a lake more than the bottom of the cup.
- After graduating from Auburn, Todd worked with special needs children for a year at an elementary school in his hometown of Rome, Georgia.