Rick’s practice is devoted to regulatory compliance issues affecting health care facilities. Prior to joining Starnes Davis Florie, he worked as an attorney and senior manager at the Alabama Department of Public Health. For the last fifteen years of his career there, Rick directed the agency that inspects and regulates all health care facilities in the State of Alabama.
- Rick has testified before the U.S. Senate Committee on Aging, the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee, and numerous committees in the Alabama Legislature
- He has appeared on the NPR program, “Talk of the Nation,” and has been quoted in USA Today and U.S. News & World Report on health care regulatory issues
- Member of St. Peter Catholic Church in Montgomery where he serves on the parish council, teaches CCD (Sunday School) to middle schoolers, and works closely with the altar servers.
- Member of the Board of Catholic Social Services in Montgomery.
- Member of the Board of Montgomery Catholic Preparatory School.
- Rick has taught investigative skills to the staffs of health care facility surveyors (inspectors) in Alabama, Mississippi, Wyoming, and Oregon, and has presented programs on investigative skills and assisted living regulation at the national meeting of the Association of Health Care Facility Survey Agencies, as well as the Alabama Nursing Home Association, the Assisted Living Association of Alabama, and the Alabama Medical Directors Association.
- He crafted many of the regulations and statutes that govern health care facilities in Alabama.
- Rick has also served as a professional consultant to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (“CMS”) on the issues of complaint investigation, supervisory review, guidance for declaring immediate jeopardy, and inconsistency in the citation of deficiencies.