Billy enjoys a diverse practice with a primary focus in the area of workers’ compensation defense. His practice also includes federal black lung litigation, bad faith and outrage claims, toxic torts, premises liability, products liability, construction litigation, and general personal injury claims.
Billy received a B.S. in Business Administration from Washington & Lee University and a J.D. from Cumberland School of Law, cum laude, where he served as Executive Editor of the American Journal of Trial Advocacy.
- Executive Committee (Treasurer), Workers' Compensation Section of the Birmingham Bar Association.
- Porco v. Buffalo Rock Company – Obtained summary judgment on behalf of beverage manufacturer and distributor in a products liability matter.
- Bailey v. Rock Mountain Mining – Obtained summary judgment on behalf of employer in a retaliatory discharge/wrongful termination matter.
- Hudson v. The City of Fairfield – Obtained defense verdict for employer in a workers’ compensation case in which the employee alleged he was permanently and totally disabled as a result of a back injury suffered on the job.
- Fleetwood Trucking Company, Inc. v. Cahaba Resources, LLC – Obtained complete dismissal of coal mining company from case in which plaintiff trucking company sought indemnity for its liability under the Black Lung Benefits Act. Dismissal was affirmed by the Alabama Supreme Court following oral argument.
- Browning v. McCombs – Integral part of trial team that secured a defense verdict in a two-week wrongful death case arising from a fatal trucking accident in South Carolina.
- Haynie v. Austin Commercial, Inc. – Obtained full summary judgment on behalf of employer in a workers’ compensation matter involving occupational butanol exposure.
- Obtained defense judgment for nursing home in four day arbitration involving claims by plaintiff for personal injury and wrongful death.
Presentations and Publications
- “Workers’ Compensation Subrogation in Third-Party Actions,” Alabama Self Insurers Association (ASIA) Newsletter, Vol. 3, Pages 10-12, Fall 2016.
- Workers’ Compensation Subrogation in Third-Party Actions, Alabama Self Insurers Association (ASIA) Summer Conference, Destin, Florida (August 9, 2015).
- Workers’ Compensation Subrogation in Third-Party Actions, Birmingham Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Section Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama (April 16, 2015).
- “Strategies for Improving Management of Workers’ Compensation Claims,” HR Alabama Newsletter, Vol. 4, Pages 32-35, May 2014.
- How Medical Issues Factor Into the Settlement Process, Workers’ Compensation Hearings: Techniques and Strategies for Success, National Business Institute Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama (December 12, 2012).
- Ethical Issues in Workers’ Compensation Cases, Workers’ Compensation Hearings: Techniques and Strategies for Success, National Business Institute Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama (December 12, 2012).
News & Insights
- SDF ALERT: Alabama’s Workers Comp Law Unconstitutional?
- SDF Attorneys Laird & DeBuys Secure Defense Verdict in a Workers’ Compensation Case
- Federal Black Lung Litigation Practice Group -Blog Post
- Three Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Invited to Join the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Wright, Bates and DeBuys Prevail in Nursing Home Malpractice Arbitration