Allison’s practice is 100% devoted to medical liability defense, including personal injury and wrongful death defense litigation. She represents doctors, hospitals, practice groups, and other healthcare professionals against claims of medical malpractice. She also regularly advises healthcare professionals and entities about issues and regulations affecting their practices.
- Rising Star in Alabama by Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine
- Successfully defended two general surgeons during a six-day trial in a wrongful death case involving the readmission of a patient to the hospital following recent hernia repair surgery.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist following a four-day trial in Tennessee stemming from the ordering of post anesthesia care unit pain medication that resulted in blindness.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national cell phone company in a case brought by a former employee for race discrimination and retaliation.
- Secured summary judgment and Eleventh Circuit affirmance for a metal processing plant in a Title VII and Section 1981 race discrimination action.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of an anesthesiologist in a case arising out of a cervical epidural block, which led to a spinal cord injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a surgeon in a personal injury case involving complications arising from a retained sponge following hernia surgery.
- Obtained summary judgment and affirmance with opinion from the Alabama Supreme Court in infant wrongful death action.
- Secured summary judgment in favor of radiology group in a case involving the administration of a contrast agent to the plaintiff who later developed nephrogenic systemic fibrosis.
- Obtained summary judgment for an Alabama municipality on a state law age discrimination claim.
Presentations and Publications
- Quality Assurance and Peer Review Privileges in Alabama. Presented at the Alabama Society for Healthcare Risk Management Fall Education Day, Alabaster, Alabama (November 4, 2016).
- Walter W. Bates, Allison J. Adams, & Pamela Yates, “Overcoming Tensions Between Drug/Device Defendants and Treating Physicians,” IADC Drug, Device and Biotechnology and Medical Defense and Health Law Joint Committee Newsletter, February 2014.
- Is Your Clinic Prepared? Malpractice and Employment Issues Facing Practice Groups. Presented at the Medical Group Management Association meeting, Decatur, Alabama (February 18, 2014).
- “In Case of Emergency: Is Your Clinic Ready?” The Birmingham Medical News Blog, September 2013.
- “Important Victory for Primary Payers Under the MSP,” DRI Medical Liability and Health Care Law Committee Newsletter, Vol. 16, Issue 4, December 2011.
- Arnold W. Umbach, III & Allison J. Garton, “Alabama Supreme Court Clarifies Enforceability of No-Hire Agreements,” The Alabama Defense Lawyers Association Journal, October 2007.
- “Reconciling the Incongruous Demands of Therapist-Patient Confidentiality and Falsely Accused Third-Parties,” 37 Cum. L. Rev. 1, 77 (2006).
News & Insights
- Twenty-Eight SDF Attorneys Named to the 2017 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to the 2016 Edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Labor & Employment Practice Group Bulletin – November 2015
- Adams & Bates Secure Defense Verdict for Two General Surgeons in Med Mal Trial
- Starnes Davis Florie Labor & Employment Practice Group Bulletin – July 2015
- Twenty-Six SDF Attorneys Named to 2015 Alabama Super Lawyers
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Adams and Bates Obtain Defense Verdict for Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist
- Thirty SDF Attorneys Named to Alabama Super Lawyers 2014
- SDF Attorneys Allison Adams and Billy Bates Co-Authored an Article in IADC Committee Newsletter
- Starnes Davis Florie Announces Its New Partners Allison Adams & Clayton Bromberg
- Starnes Davis Florie Attorneys Adams and Umbach Obtained Eleventh Circuit Affirmance of Summary Judgment