Billy, a native of Birmingham, is an associate at Starnes Davis Florie. Billy enjoys a diverse practice with a primary focus in the area of workers' compensation defense. His practice also includes federal black lung litigation, bad faith and outrage claims, toxic torts, premises liability, construction litigation, and general personal injury claims.
* Obtained summary judgment on behalf of beverage manufacturer and distributor in a products liability matter.
* Obtained summary judgment on behalf of employer in a retaliatory discharge/wrongful termination matter.
* Obtained defense verdict for employer in a workers' compensation case in which the employee alleged he was permanently and totally disabled as a result of a back injury suffered on the job.
* Obtained complete dismissal of coal mining company from case in which plaintiff trucking company sought indemnity for its liability under the Black Lung Benefits Act. Dismissal was affirmed by the Alabama Supreme Court following oral argument.
* Integral part of trial team that secured a defense verdict in a two-week wrongful death case arising from a fatal trucking accident in South Carolina.
* Obtained full summary judgment on behalf of employer in a workers' compensation matter involving occupational butanol exposure.
* Obtained defense judgment for nursing home in four day arbitration involving claims by plaintiff for personal injury and wrongful death.
Honors And Awards
While attending Cumberland School of Law, Billy served as Executive Editor of the American Journal of Trial Advocacy. He was also a Scholar of Merit and a Judge Abraham Caruthers Legal Research and Writing Teaching Assistant.
Billy graduated from Washington & Lee University with a B.S. in Business Administration with Special Attainments in Commerce.
Speeches And Publications
* "Workers' Compensation Subrogation in Third-Party Actions," Alabama Self Insurers Association (ASIA) Newsletter, Vol. 3, Pages 10-12, Fall 2016.
* Workers' Compensation Subrogation in Third-Party Actions, Alabama Self Insurers Association (ASIA) Summer Conference, Destin, Florida (August 9, 2015)
* Workers' Compensation Subrogation in Third-Party Actions, Birmingham Bar Association Workers' Compensation Section, Birmingham, Alabama (April 16, 2015).
* How Medical Issues Factor Into the Settlement Process, Workers' Compensation Hearings: Techniques and Strategies for Success, National Business Institute Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama (December 12, 2012).
* Ethical Issues in Workers' Compensation Cases, Workers' Compensation Hearings: Techniques and Strategies for Success, National Business Institute Seminar, Birmingham, Alabama (December 12, 2012).