Amber is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie. Her practice is devoted to civil litigation including environmental and construction litigation, personal injury defense, financial services claims, and appellate advocacy. She also advises clients regarding regulatory compliance and represents clients in administrative proceedings before environmental and surface mining agencies.
*Obtained a favorable opinion from the Supreme Court of Alabama reversing and remanding a trial court's denial of a client's request to compel arbitration of claims filed against his business in Baldwin County, Alabama.
* Obtained dismissal on behalf of municipal employees of personal injury and property damage claims based on construction of school
* Obtained a defense judgment, which was affirmed on appeal, on behalf of a municipality following federal trial of Clean Water Act and state common law claims involving allegations of stormwater damage by an adjacent property owner
* Representing coal mining operators in administrative and state court actions involving appeals of permits issued by the state environmental and surface mining agencies
* Represented a client in a CERCLA contribution and cost recovery action pertaining to the Alabama Wood Treating Corporation site in Mobile, Alabama
* Represented chemical waste generator in litigation involving personal injury claims arising from explosion of chemical waste
Honors And Awards
Amber has been named a Rising Star for the state of Alabama by the 2013 - 2016 editions of Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine and is an AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings. She was also named one of the Top Lawyers of 2016 by Birmingham's B-Metro Magazine.
While attending Cumberland School of Law, Amber was the Executive Editor of the Cumberland Law Review, a Thomley Scholarship Recipient, a George M. Stewart Banking Award Recipient and the recipient of numerous Scholar of Merit Awards. Amber was also active in the Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity and served as a Judge Abraham Caruthers Legal Research and Writing Teaching Assistant.
Speeches And Publications
* "Environmnental Law and Accountants' Liability," presented and published at the 29th Annual Governmental Accounting and Auditing Forum hosted by Alabama Society of Certified Public Accounts and the Association of Government Accountants and Governmental Financial Officers Association of Alabama, December 1, 2016 (Birmingham, AL).
* "Efficiency Guarantees under Surety Bond" and "Impact of Principal's Bankruptcy,"presented at the 2016 Southern Surety & Fidelity Claims Conference, April 21, 2016 (Charleston, SC).
* "Alabama Lien Law," seminar for the National Association of Credit Management, September 10, 2015 (Birmingham, AL)
* "Environmental Law: What Every Accountant Should Know," seminar for the Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants, August 31, 2015 (Huntsville, AL ) and August 13, 2015 (Mobile, AL)
*"Sources of Recovery and Liens," a publication presented at two seminars hosted by the National Business Institute, October 22, 2014 (Huntsville, AL) and October 23, 2014 (Birmingham, AL)
* "EPCRA Tier II Requirements: A Guide for Hazardous Chemical Inventory Reporting," The EnLaw, Volume 19, No. 1 (Winter 2013)
* "Finding the Solution to Unresolved Boundaries," November 8, 2012, National Business Institute Seminar, Boundary Disputes: Resolving Client Conflicts, Birmingham, Alabama (speech & publication)
* "Air Permits, Regulations and Requirements under the Clean Air Act," July 30, 2009, National Business Institute, Environmental Law from A to Z, Birmingham, Alabama (speech)