Michael Scivley is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie and has been practicing law since 2006. He is a member of the firm's recruiting committee. His practice is primarily devoted to defending physicians and other health care providers in a variety of matters involving alleged medical malpractice and wrongful death. He also has significant experience in both state and federal courts with matters involving commercial litigation, insurance, banking, and consumer finance.
* Obtained complete summary judgment in favor of two cardiologists on a wrongful death claim following a cardiac catheterization procedure
* Secured the dismissal of a wrongful death claim against a urologist following resection of a bladder tumor
* Secured the dismissal of a medical malpractice claim against a family practitioner for alleged abandonment of his patient
* Secured the dismissal of a medical malpractice claim against a dentist for alleged failure to complete a root canal
* Obtained complete summary judgment in favor of a national insurance company on claims for breach of contract, bad faith, and failure to investigate, settle, or defend.
* Obtained complete summary judgment in favor of a physician in a case involving an alleged retained foreign object.
* Obtained complete summary judgment and an attorney fee award in favor of a national bank accused of violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Honors And Awards
Michael has been named a Rising Star for the state of Alabama by the 2013 and 2014 editions of Alabama Super Lawyers® magazine.
While attending Cumberland School of Law, Michael was a member of the Cordell Hull Speaker's Forum. Michael was a Varsity Letterman at Brown University and a member of the 1999 Ivy League Championship Football Team.
Speeches And Publications
* Lectured on Dram Shop Litigation at the Tort Law Update presented by CLE Alabama/The University of Alabama School of Law