Allison joined Starnes Davis Florie in September 2007. She is a member of the firm's recruiting committee.
Allison's practice is primarily focused in the areas of Labor and Employment Law and Medical Malpractice Defense.
* Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national cell phone company in a case brought by a former employee for race discrimination and retaliation.
* Obtained summary judgment and Eleventh Circuit affirmance for a metal processing plant in a Title VII and Section 1981 race discrimination action.
* Obtained a defense verdict in favor of an anesthesiologist in a case arising out of a cervical epidural block which led to a spinal cord injury.
* Obtained summary judgment in infant wrongful death action and affirmance with opinion from the Alabama Supreme Court based on the statute of limitations and the argument that the action was not commenced within the applicable statute when the complaint was filed within the statute but service was not effectuated on the defendants for over four months.
* Obtained summary judgment in favor of radiology group in a case involving the administration of a contrast agent to the plaintiff who later developed nephrogenic systemic fibrosis.
* Obtained summary judgment for nationwide cell phone company on federal claims of race discrimination and retaliation.
* Obtained summary judgment for an Alabama municipality on a state law age discrimination claim.
* Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a surgeon in a personal injury case involving complications arising from a retained sponge following hernia surgery.
Honors And Awards
Allison graduated second in her class from Cumberland School of Law, where she was an associate editor of the Cumberland Law Review. Allison also served as a Judge Abraham Caruthers Legal Research and Writing Teaching Assistant.
Speeches And Publications
* "Overcoming Tensions Between Drug/Device Defendants and Treating Physicians," IADC Drug, Device and Biotechnology and Medical Defense and Health Law Joint Committee Newsletter, February 2014.
* Is Your Clinic Prepared? Malpractice and Employment Issues Facing Practice Groups. Medical Group Management Association, Decatur, AL. February 18, 2014.
* Employment Presentation to a Large Retail Client, Birmingham, AL, November 21, 2013.
* "In Case of Emergency: Is Your Clinic Ready?" The Birmingham Medical News Blog, September 2013.
* Making Good Faith Efforts to Comply with the Law: An Employer's Best Strategy for Managing the Risk of Discrimination Claims, Managing the Risk of Employment Claims Seminar for HR professionals, insurance representatives, and in-house counsel held at Samford University, Birmingham, AL, July 19, 2012.
* "Important Victory For Primary Payers Under The MSP," The Newsletter of the Medical Liability and Health Care Law Committee of the Defense Research Institute (DRI), Vol. 16, Issue 4, December 2011.
* "Medical Peer Review Privilege Will No Longer Apply in Federal Discrimination Cases," International Association of Defense Counsel Newsletter (to be published in a future issue).
* Arnold W. Umbach III & Allison J. Garton, "Alabama Supreme Court Clarifies Enforceability of No-Hire Agreements," The Alabama Defense Lawyers Association Journal, October 2007.
* Comment, "Reconciling the Incongruous Demands of Therapist-Patient Confidentiality and Falsely Accused Third-Parties," 37 CUMB. L. REV. 1, 77 (2006).
* Casenote, "Constitutional Law- Commerce Clause- Regulation of Intrastate Cultivation of State-Authorized Medical Marijuana is Within Congress’s Commerce Power," 36 CUM. L. REV. 1, 179 (2005).