John joined the firm in 2002. He is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie and was the second lawyer to join the Mobile office.
John has worked on a broad variety of litigation matters, including professional liability, complex commercial litigation, construction litigation, intellectual property and collegiate sports. His practice has a particular emphasis on healthcare and professional medical liability, where John has successfully defended numerous hospitals, physicians, and nursing homes within the state.
* Obtained a defense verdict, in Mobile, Alabama, for an OB/GYN in a case alleging misrepresentation of colposcopy findings as cancer resulting in an unnecessary hysterectomy.
* Secured a defense verdict for a reproductive endocrinologist in a wrongful death claim filed by a mother in connection with the loss of her unborn child.
* Obtained dismissal without settlement of clients at the close of all evidence in a wrongful death case involving medication error that resulted in a verdict of $140 Million against co-defendants.
* Obtained judgment as a matter of law for surgeon after five days of trial in wrongful death claim involving allegations of failure to diagnose and treat a perforated duodenal ulcer.
* After nineteen days of trial, obtained judgment as a matter of law on behalf of an internist in a wrongful death case involving allegations of failure to diagnose a liver hematoma in an ICU patient.
* Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a defendant colon and rectal surgeon in a seven-day trial involving the alleged improper cessation of steroid therapy.
* Obtained a jury verdict in favor of an orthopedist in litigation stemming from the transection of the popliteal artery during an arthroscopic procedure.
* Obtained jury verdict in favor of cardiologist in litigation stemming from sudden cardiac death.
* Represented the University of Alabama in Huntsville in an intellectual property dispute over PEGylation technology, resulting in a $25 million dollar settlement for the client.
* Obtained dismissal and appellate affirmance for an OB/GYN in a wrongful death action by arguing that the Plaintiff's retained medical experts had established that fetal demise was earlier than demonstrated within the medical records, thereby making the claim untimely filed.
* Obtained a complete dismissal for distributor who marketed air purifiers in Brookstone stores in a potential class action dispute.
* Obtained jury verdict for emergency medicine physician in litigation stemming from the alleged failure to diagnose acute diverticulitis.
Honors And Awards
John has been named a top attorney for the state of Alabama by the 2013 - 2016 editions of Mid-South Super Lawyers® magazine, a Rising Star for the state of Alabama by the 2011 edition of Alabama Super Lawyers® magazine, and is an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review RatingsTM.
After receiving his undergraduate degree from Millsaps College, John was awarded a Fulbright scholarship for academic study in Yucatan, Mexico.
Ex parte Anderson, 166 So.3d 86 (Ala. 2014)
Hegarty v. Hudson, 123 So.3d. 945, (Ala. 2013)
Elaine Leiser v. Raymond R. Fletcher, M.D., P.C., 978 So.2d 700 (Ala. 2007).
Matthews v. Brookstone Stores, Inc., 469 F.Supp.2d 1056 (S.D. Ala. 2007).
Ziade v. Koch, 952 So.2d 1072 (Ala. 2006).
Matthews v. Brookstone Stores, Inc., 431 F.Supp.2d 1219 (S.D.Ala. 2006).
Ex parte Mendel, 942 So.2d 829 (Ala. 2006).
Abner v. Mobile Infirmary Hospital, 149 Fed. Appx. 857 (11th Cir. 2005).
Estate of Bradley v. Mariner Health, Inc., 315 F.Supp.2d 1190 (S.D. Ala. 2004).
East Alabama Behavioral Medicine, P.C. v. Chancey, 883 So.2d 162 (Ala. 2003).
Health Ins. Corp. of Alabama v. Smith, 869 So.2d 1100 (Ala. 2003).
Coates v. CTB, Inc., 173 F.Supp.2d 1200 (M.D. Ala. 2001).