Sybil Newton is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie and has practiced with the firm for over twenty years. She currently heads the firm’s Appellate Law and Written Advocacy Group.
Prior to her position with the firm’s Appellate Group, Sybil had an active trial practice, participating in over twenty jury trials, defending primarily medical malpractice actions across the state. She has handled a variety of appeals on behalf of litigants and has been retained by non-litigants to intervene as amicus curiae as well. Sybil previously served as the Firm’s Administrative Partner for six years.
Sybil was recently appointed by the Alabama Supreme Court to serve a second term as a member of the Standing Committee on Alabama Rules of Appellate Procedure until October 2015.
Sybil was recognized in 2012 as a leading Appellate practitioner in the Eleventh Circuit Benchmark: Appellate and in the 2012 edition of Alabama Super Lawyers.
* Successfully handled a recent appeal wherein the Alabama Supreme Court affirmed a two million dollar verdict obtained for a client of the firm following a bench trial in a breach of contract case.
* Successfully handled an amicus matter on behalf of the University of Alabama Board of Trustees (currently pending on Application for Rehearing) regarding a matter of first impression -- the applicability of the doctrine of sovereign immunity to healthcare authorities formed by state universities. This appeal resulted in the reversal of a 3.2 million dollar verdict. Health Care Authority for Baptist Health v. Davis, 2011 WL 118268 (Ala., January 14, 2011).
* Has handled a number of amicus matters over the years on behalf of the Medical Association of the State of Alabama, most recently including a case revisiting the constitutionality of the cap on damages in wrongful death malpractice cases.
* Recently successfully handled an appeal on behalf of a nationally based cable company involving issues of class certification and standing of class representatives.
* Successfully handled an appeal to the 11th Circuit on behalf of The University of Alabama in an issue involving a trademark dispute with sports artist Daniel A. Moore.
Honors And Awards
Sybil was appointed by The Supreme Court of Alabama to serve a second term as a member of the Standing Committee on Alabama Rules of Appellate Procedure until October 2015. Sybil has maintained an AV Peer Rating by Martindale Hubbell for over fifteen consecutive years, was recognized as a leading Appellate practitioner in the Eleventh Circuit by the 2012 and 2013 editions of Benchmark Appellate, and has been named by the 2012 - 2013 editions of Alabama Super Lawyers® magazine as one of the top attorneys in the state of Alabama.
Aurora Healthcare, Inc. v. Ramsey, 83 So. 3d 495 (2011).
Health Care Authority for Baptist Health v. Davis, 2011 WL 118268 (Ala., January 14, 2011) (NO. 1090084).
Graves v. Brookwood Health Services, Inc., 43 So. 3d 1218 (Ala. 2009).
Coilplus-Alabama, Inc. v. Johnnie F. Vann; Sirote & Permutt, P.C., 53 So. 3d 898 (Ala 2010).
Groover v. Johnston, 39 So. 3d 33 (Ala. 2009).
Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama v. New Life Art, Inc., 336 Fed. Appx. 860 (11th Cir. 2009).
Wright Therapy Equipment, LLC v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, 991 So. 2d 701 (Ala. 2008).
McNeal v. City of Tarrant, 325 Fed. Appx. 794 (11th Cir. 2009).
Bill Salter Advertising, Inc. v. City of Atmore, 294 Fed. Appx. 554 (11th Cir. 2008).
Black v. Comer, 920 So. 2d 1083 (Ala. 2005).
Lloyd Noland Hosp. v. Durham, 906 So. 2d 157 (Ala. 2005).
Breaux v. Thurston, 888 So. 2d 1208 (Ala. 2003).
Sullivan v. Mihelic, 808 So. 2d 6 (Ala. 2001).
Thomas Spivey v. Crenshaw Baptist Hosp., 786 So. 2d 1151 (Ala. 2000).
Mutual Assur., Inc. v. Chancey, 781 So. 2d 172 (Ala. 2000).
Ex parte McCollough, 747 So. 2d 887 (Ala. 1999).
Ex parte Debra Jean Stone and T. Gary Stone, 768 So. 2d 425 (Ala. 1999).
Ex parte Hsu, 707 So. 2d 223 (Ala. 1997).
Thomas v. Ekambaram, 706 So. 2d 1245 (Ala.Civ.App. 1997).
Mihelic v. Sullivan, 686 So. 2d 1130 (Ala. 1996).
Jefferson Clinic, P.C. v. Mixon, 684 So. 2d 127 (Ala. 1996).
Henson v. Mobile Infirmary Ass'n, 646 So. 2d 559 (Ala. 1994).
Williams v. Spring Hill Memorial Hosp., 646 So. 2d 1373 (Ala. 1994).
Mobile Infirmary v. Delchamps, 642 So. 2d 954 (Ala. 1994).
Reed v. Brookwood Medical Center, 641 So. 2d 1245 (Ala. 1994).
Rose v. Rogers, 632 So. 2d 434 (Ala. 1993).
Mutual Assur., Inc. v. Madden, 627 So. 2d 865 (Ala. 1993).
Roberts v. Hutchins, 613 So. 2d 348 (Ala. 1993).
Clements v. Dr. John Alvan Stewart, P.C., 595 So. 2d 858 (Ala. 1992).
Moore v. Mobile Infirmary Ass'n, 592 So. 2d 156 (Ala. 1991).
Ex parte King, 591 So. 2d 464 (Ala. 1991).
Smith v. Medical Center East, 585 So. 2d 1325 (Ala. 1991).
Roberts v. Hutchins, 572 So. 2d 1231 (Ala. 1990).
Rose v. Decatur General Hosp., 571 So. 2d 997 (Ala.Civ.App. 1990).
Vaughn By and Through Vaughn v. Griffith, 565 So. 2d 75 (Ala. 1990).