* Obtained summary judgment for a district manager of a national retail pharmacy chain on a claim of intentional interference with business relations brought by a former employee in Macon County, Alabama.
* Obtained a jury verdict for a trucking company against a former truck driver’s claim that the company fired him because of his race and in retaliation for his complaints about his co-workers’ racial slurs.
* Obtained numerous summary judgments for employers on claims of discrimination and retaliation.
* Enforced an employer’s non-compete agreement with a former employee by obtaining a jury verdict awarding the employer lost profits and rejecting the employee’s claim of interference with his new employment.
* Defended an employer and its employee against non-compete claims.
* Obtained a jury verdict for an employer against claims of retaliation brought by a current employee.
* Advised clients on strategies to respond to union activity.
* Represented employers in union elections.
* Negotiated collective bargaining agreements.
* Member of the trial team representing a national retail store chain in the two-week trial of a nationwide collective action under the Fair Labor Standards Act challenging the exempt status of store managers. This case is one of the few of its type in the country to have been tried to a jury.
* Investigated complaints of sexual harassment and workplace violence.
* Counseled clients through hundreds of job termination decisions.
* Developed an equal employment opportunity training program to be viewed by supervisors and employees on the company’s intranet.
* Defended a real estate management company and a city against claims brought under the Americans With Disabilities Act alleging that facilities are not accessible to wheelchair-bound citizens.
* Defended companies and individuals against citations issued by the Mine Safety and Health Administration.
* Defended employers against unfair labor practice charges alleging violations of the National Labor Relations Act.
* Counseled a client through a threat of violence from a terminated employee.
* Served as both a mediator and an arbitrator.
Speeches And Publications
* What Do You Want to Know About Social Media,? Alabama City County Management Association, Birmingham, AL, January 26, 2017.
* Overtime Rule: What You Need to Know, Sponsored Seminar, Birmingham, AL, June 28, 2016.
* The Ins and Outs of the New Overtime Rules and How to Prepare for the New Law, Sponsored Seminar, Birmingham, AL, June 16, 2016.
* Every Day Decisions That May Affect The Outcome of Litigation, Labor & Employment Disputes, And Your Surveys, 2015 Alabama Nursing Home Association Mid-Year Convention, Orange Beach, FL, April 27-28, 2015.
* Thinking Outside The Box: A Global Perspective to Risk Management, 2015 Alabama Nursing Home Association Legal Compliance Seminar, Birmingham, AL, January 12, 2015.
* Employment Law and Litigation: The Cost of Being Unprepared,!Alabama Trucking Association Safety and Maintenance Management Council, Mobile, AL , February 6, 2014 (speech).
* Navigating the Hiring Process in Alabama, CLE Alabama Seminar, Birmingham, AL, December 18, 2012 (speech).
* Would Your Time Records Stand Up in Court?, Greater Pensacola Society for Human Resource Management, Pensacola, FL, October 10, 2012 (speech).
* Risk Management: Resident Care Litigation and Labor & Employment Perspectives, Alabama Assisted Living Association Fall Conference, Florence, AL, September 13, 2012 (speech).
* Recent Developments and Current Trends in Labor and Employment Law, Speech presented to Employers of Chick-fil-A, Birmingham, AL, September 13, 2012 (speech).
* How to Audit Your Workforce for Fair Labor Standards Act Compliance, Managing the Risk of Employment Claims Seminar for HR professionals, insurance representatives, and in-house counsel held at Samford University, Birmingham, AL, July 19, 2012 (speech).
* How to Manage the Risk of Employment Claims, Medical Practice Managers, Birmingham, AL, June 12, 2012 (speech).
* Would Your Time Records Stand Up in Court? and Are You Prepared for a DOL Audit?, Gorrie-Regan User Conference, Nashville, TN, May 10, 2012 (speech).
* Risk Management: Patient Care Litigation, Regulatory Compliance, and Labor & Employment Perspectives, Alabama Nursing Home Association, Orange Beach, AL, May 1, 2012 (speech).
* Recent Developments and Current Trends in Labor and Employment Law, Alabama Corporate Council, February 2012 (speech).
* Alabama Labor Laws: What You Need to Know for 2012, Alabama Franchise Alliance, February 21, 2012 (speech).
* Current Issues in Employment Law and Accounting for Municipalities, Seminar for Mayors and City Employees, hosted by Starnes Davis Florie LLP & Carr Riggs & Ingram LLC, January 2012 (speech).
* Selecting Causes of Action and Available Defenses, ABA Labor and Employment Law Conference, 2011 (speech).
* Managing the Risk of Employment Claims, Alabama MGMA Conference, 2009 (speech).
* Public Facilities and ADA Compliance, AAMA Fall Municipal Law Conference, 2007 (speech).
* Arnold W. Umbach III & Allison J. Garton, Alabama Supreme Court Clarifies Enforceability of No-Hire Agreements, The Alabama Defense Lawyers Association Journal, October 2007.
* Arnold W. Umbach III, Discrimination Law Developments in the Supreme Court: Sexual Harassment, Statute of Limitations for Race Claims, Age Discrimination, Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Eleventh Amendment, Employment Law Update, 2005, at 1.
* Anatomy of a Discrimination Lawsuit from Both Sides, Council on Education in Management, Personnel Law Update, 2004 (speech).
* Fair Credit Reporting Act and Background Checks, National Association of Women in Construction, 2002 (speech).
* Lisa A. Schreter & Arnold W. Umbach III, Using Rule 23 to Define FLSA Class Actions: A Solution to the “Similarly Situated” Debate, Employment Law Update, 2002, at 117.
Evans v. Books-A-Million, 762 F.3d 1288 (11th Cir. 2014).
Parrott v. PNC Bank, 986 F. Supp 2d 1263 (N.D. AL. 2013).
Swain v. Precision Strip, Inc., 511 Fed. Appx. 905 (11th Cir. 2013).
McNeal v. City of Tarrant, 325 Fed. Appx. 794, 2009 WL 1132348 (11th Cir.).
Rigby v. Springs Industries, Inc., 156 Fed. Appx. 130, 2005 WL 3076542 (11th Cir. 2005).
Scott Bridge Company v. Wright, 888 So.2d 1221 (Ala. 2003).
Michele C. Taylor v. Alabama Intertribal Council, 261 F.3d 1032 (11th Cir. 2001).
Cynthia Lunde v. Big B, Inc., d/b/a CVS Pharmacy, 117 F. Supp. 2d. 1275 (M.D. Ala. 2000).
Cropp v. Raytheon Engineers & Contractors, Inc., 2000 WL 731523 (N.D. AL 2000).
Glenn Holiness v. Moore-Handley, Inc., 114 F. Supp. 2d 1176 (N.D. Ala. 1999).
Maddox v. Cash Loans of Huntsville, 21 F. Supp. 2d 1336 (N.D. Ala. 1998).
Pouncy v. Vulcan Materials Company, 920 F. Supp. 1566 (N.D. Ala. 1996).
Duncan v. Icenogle, 873 F. Supp. 579 (M.D. Ala. 1994).