* Obtained defense judgment for nursing home in four day arbitration involving claims by plaintiff for personal injury and wrongful death.
* Secured reversal by Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals of Order dismissing 9 U.S.C.4 Complaint to Compel Arbitration for lack of subject matter jurisdiction in nursing home case.
* Successfully compelled malpractice claims against nursing home in Arkansas into arbitration.
* Obtained defense verdict on behalf of emergency department physician in seven-day wrongful death trial.
* Obtained dismissal of cardiologist in wrongful death case.
* Obtained jury verdict for emergency department physician in ten-day wrongful death case.
* Currently representing numerous nursing homes and long term care facilities throughout the State of Alabama in personal injury and wrongful death cases.
* Obtained dismissal of class action against nursing home operator and insurance company arising from alleged violations of Medicare Secondary Payor Act.
Speeches And Publications
* Avoiding the Multi-Million Dollar Verdict - Significant Long Term Care Claims Management Considerations, DRI Nursing Home / ALF Seminar, Scottsdale, AZ, September 7, 2016.
* Every Day Decisions That May Affect The Outcome of Litigation, Labor & Employment Disputes, And Your Surveys, 2015 Alabama Nursing Home Association Mid-Year Convention, Orange Beach, FL, April 27-28, 2015.
* Effective Communication Between Risk Management and Claims, Long-Term Risk Legal Forum Summit Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, March 15, 2015.
* Thinking Outside The Box: A Global Perspective to Risk Management, 2015 Alabama Nursing Home Association Legal Compliance Seminar, Birmingham, AL, January 12, 2015.
* Reed R. Bates and Scott M. Salter, “Are You As Guilty as the Criminal? Liability for Criminal Acts of Third Parties and Employees," FDCC (Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel) Quarterly Defense Counsel Journal, Vol. 64, NO. 2, Winter 2015.
* Arbitration Best Practices, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Meeting, Orange Beach, AL, April 26, 2014.
* Criminal Acts by Employees, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Meeting, Orange Beach, AL, April 26, 2014.
* Trends in Nursing Home Litigation - Avoiding the Multi-Million Dollar Mistake, Senior Care Pharmacy Conference, Birmingham, AL, April 10, 2014.
* Is This Just Another One of Those Nursing Homes?, Alabama Nursing Home Association Meeting, Birmingham, AL , February 3, 2014.
* "Whoa to the Company that Fails to Include a Class Wide Arbitration Waiver," IADC Medical Defense and Health Law Committee Newsletter, January 31, 2014.
* Open Floor Discussion: Are You Producing More Than Your Peers? Pushing Back On A Request for Production, American Conference Institute’s Seminar on “Preventing and Defending Long Term Care Litigation," Miami, FL , January 28, 2014.
* "Are You As Guilty As The Criminal? Liability For Criminal Acts Of Third Parties And Employees," Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Quarterly Publication, FDCC Quarterly (Fall 2013).
* Preparing and Developing Testimony from Frontline Caregivers, DRI Nursing Home / ALF Litigation Seminar, Las Vegas, NV, September 2012
* Risk Management: Resident Care Litigation and Labor & Employment Perspectives, Alabama Assisted Living Association, September 2012
* Trial and Error: Lessons Learned from Recent Multi-Million Dollar Verdicts in Medical Malpractice Cases, IADC Annual Meeting, Asheville, NC, July 2012
* Risk Management: Patient Care Litigation, Regulatory Compliance, and Labor & Employment Perspectives, Alabama Nursing Home Association, May 2012
* Class Actions and Arbitration Update in Nursing Home Cases, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association, April 2011
* Mission Impossible: Resolution of a Case with a Medicare Claimant, Alabama Nursing Home Association Owners Meeting, Highlands, NC, July 2010
* Arbitration Update, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association, May 2010
* Reed R. Bates and Stephen W. Still, Jr., "Arbitration in Nursing Home Cases: Trends, Issues and a Glance into the Future", IADC Defense Counsel Journal, Vol. 76, No. 3, Pages 282-299 (July 2009) * Please Note: this article was reprinted with the permission of the IADC Defense Counsel Journal.
* Arbitration in Nursing Home/Health Care Cases: National Trends, Hot Topics and a Glance into the Future, 2009 IADC Mid-Year Conference, Carlsbad, CA, February 2009
* Arbitration in Nursing Home Cases, Alabama Nursing Home Association Owners Meeting, Highlands, NC, July 2008
* Nursing Home Litigation, Alabama Bar Institute for CLE, October 2007
* Nursing Home Malpractice: Evaluating and Addressing Accountability, National Business Institute, September 2007
* Effectively Using Medical Evidence in Court, National Business Institute, May 2007
* Medical Practice Litigation Tips, Barristers Educational Services, December 2006
* Measures to Prevent Litigation and Successfully Defend Medical Malpractice cases, Turenne Pharmedco University, August 2006
* Enforcement of Arbitration Provisions in Long Term Care Litigation, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Conference, May 2006
* Arbitrating Nursing Home Cases, Alabama Nursing Home Defense Lawyers Association, November 2005
* Recent Developments in Nursing Home Litigation, Lorman Education, February 2005
GGNSC Montgomery, LLC d/b/a Golden LivingCenter-Montgomery v. Karen F. Norris, Administratrix of the Estate of Leila Jackson Scott, deceased – 2013 WL 627114 (M.D. Ala. Feb. 20, 2013)
Aurora Healthcare, Inc. v. Ramsey, 83 So. 3d 495 (Ala. 2011)
Northport Health Services of Arkansas, LLC, et al. v. Wayne Rutherford, - - F.3d - -, 2010 WL 1929777 (8th Cir. May 14, 2010).
Northport Health Services of Arkansas, LLC, et al. v. Wayne Rutherford, as Personal Representative of the Estate of Isaac Mitchell Rutherford (W.D. Ark. Mar. 17, 2009).
Northport Health Services of Arkansas, LLC d/b/a Springdale Health and Rehab. Center, et al. v. Tresa Robinson, as Special Administratrix of the Estate of Donna Faye Snow, deceased, et al., 2009 WL 140983 (W.D. Ark. Jan. 12, 2009).
Vulcan Materials Company v. Alabama Insurance Guaranty Association, et al., Slip Opinion, 2007 WL 2216896 (Ala. Aug. 3, 2007) (No. 1060506).
Zaden v. Elkus, 881 So. 2d 993 (Ala. 2003).
McGuffey Health & Health Rehabilitation Center v. Gibson, 864 So. 2d 1061 (Ala. 2003).
Marsh v. Wenzel, 732 So. 2d 985 (Ala. 1998).