Philip G. Piggott
Philip G. (“Phil”) Piggott is a partner at Starnes Davis Florie.
Phil’s practice is devoted to civil litigation, including topics related to complex business litigation, health care related issues, and employment matters at the trial and appellate levels. He is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in Alabama, as well as the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Phil handles a diverse spectrum of commercial litigation including matters involving employment and civil rights, contractual disputes, medical malpractice and construction issues.
Phil is actively involved in the representation of health care institutions, physicians, and medical professionals in a variety of matters, including medical malpractice, civil rights, contract disputes, and disciplinary actions.
* Obtained a directed verdict at the close of plaintiff’s evidence in Federal Court, in a jury trial where the claims were for racial discrimination/hostile environment/retaliatory discharge/negligent supervision.
* Successfully obtained a reversal by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, after oral argument, of a directed verdict in favor of the plaintiff, in a Fair Labor Standards Act case involving allegations of non-payment of overtime in defending a professional guard service.
* Recently received an Order from the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals affirming Summary Judgment in an Accounting Malpractice matter involving allegations of Fraud, Fraudulent Suppression and Accounting Malpractice.
* Recently argued a matter before the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals involving the right to remove a matter to Federal Court and State statutory interpretation.
* Recently received an order affirming summary judgment from the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals involving a §1983 claim for deliberate indifference against a health care provider.
* Recently obtained Summary Judgment in a Medical Malpractice/Wrongful Death/Deliberate Indifference matter pending in Federal Court.
* Recently received an Order from the Alabama Supreme Court affirming a Summary Judgment Order granted to health care providers in a Medical Malpractice matter involving allegations of misdiagnosis and mistreatment of a stroke victim.
* Recently obtained a defense verdict and an award on a counterclaim in a large construction dispute heard before the American Arbitration Association (AAA).
* Currently representing developers and general contractors in numerous State and Federal claims regarding allegations that toxic Chinese Drywall was utilized in properties owned by the Claimants.
Honors And Awards
While in law school, Phil was elected to the Order of the Barristers and was an Associate Editor of the American Journal of Trial Advocacy. He was a member of the Law School’s Moot Court Team as well as a member of the Jessup International Law Moot Court Team.
He is a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), Defense Research Institute (DRI), International Municipal Lawyers Association, Alabama Association of Municipal Attorneys, American Bar Association, and the Alabama State Bar Association.
Phil is also listed in the 2013 and 2014 editions of Best Lawyers in America® for commercial litigation. Phil is an AV Preeminent rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings,TM which is the highest rating an attorney can receive from the national Peer Review Rating Program.
Speeches And Publications
* On August 13, 2013, Phil gave a speech on Legal Ethics at the Alabama Self Insurers Association (ASIA) Conference.
* On February 18, 2013, Phil made a presentation before the Jefferson County Mayors’ Association and the Birmingham Area Mayors’ Association with regard to the attack on the statutory cap on municipalities and municipal employees.
* Recently spoke to a group of physicians and nurse practitioners regarding medical malpractice and civil rights claims and how to avoid such claims.
Drummond Co., Inc. v. Ala. Dept. of Transp., 206 WL438704 (Ala. 2006).
King v. Correctional Medical Services, Inc., 919 So.2d 1186 (Ala. Civ. App. 2005).
Drummond Co., Inc. v. Green, 895 So.2d 977 (Ala. Civ. App. 2004).
Drummond Co., Inc. v. Bonner, 848 So.2d 987 (Ala. Civ. App. 2002).
Drummond Co., Inc. v. Boatman, 825 So.2d 823 (Ala. Civ. App. 2001).
Ex parte Warrior Lighthouse, Inc., 789 So.2d 858 (Ala. 2001).
Drummond Co., Inc. v. Lolley, 786 So.2d 509 (Ala. Civ. App. 2000).
Ex parte Drummond Co., Inc., 775 So.2d 165 (Ala. 2000).
Architectura, Inc. v. Miller, 769 So.2d 330 (Ala. Civ. App. 2000).
Upton v. Drummond Co., Inc., 762 So.2d 373 (Ala. Civ. App. 2000).
Scottsdale Ins. Co. v. National Sec. Fire and Cas. Ins. Co., 741 So.2d 424 (Ala. Civ App. 1999).
Wehby v. Turpin, 710 So.2d 1243 (Ala. 1998).
Pruitt v. Circuit City Stores, Inc., 678 So.2d 166 (Ala. Civ. App. 1996).