George has practiced with Starnes Davis Florie, LLP since 2001. His practice covers a diverse range of civil litigation, including professional liability, healthcare, construction, real estate, banking and business litigation. He regularly serves as trial counsel in complex civil jury trials in the state and federal courts of Alabama and other jurisdictions.
* Obtained a defense verdict in favor of an obstetrician-gynecologist in a case alleging negligent management of a suspected ectopic pregnancy.
* Following a three week jury trial, obtained a verdict in favor of a urologist in a wrongful death action alleging failure to diagnose and treat postoperative bleeding following a bilateral hand-assisted laparoscopic nephrectomy surgery.
* Secured a favorable plaintiff's settlement on behalf of a commercial real estate owner in a matter brought against a national retail tenant.
* Secured a jury verdict for an emergency room physician and a radiologist in a medical malpractice action in Houston County, Alabama. The plaintiff alleged that both physicians failed to diagnose a fracture and acute rotary subluxation of the C1 vertebral ring following a motorcycle accident.
* Currently representing a large commercial developer in an environmental dispute with adjacent landowners.
* Obtained a favorable settlement for a commercial real estate developer in a complex, multi-state dispute with lenders.
* Secured a jury verdict for a group of three cardiologists in a wrongful death action alleging that the cardiologists improperly failed to consult a surgeon to perform an embolectomy following the diagnosis of a thromboembolic occlusion of the superior mesenteric artery (SMA) during a cardiac catheterization procedure.
* Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a general surgeon in a wrongful death case alleging negligent failure to treat peripheral vascular disease with an aortobifemoral bypass graft surgery.
* Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of an international engineering firm in a complex multiparty dispute relating to industrial programming applications.
* Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a plastic surgeon in a wrongful death case alleging negligent postoperative monitoring of a patient with Von Recklinghausen's neurofibromatosis.
* Secured a judgment in favor of a corporate client in a multistate contract dispute involving the sale of commercial property.
* Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a cardiologist in a wrongful death case alleging negligent management of conscious sedation and resuscitation during an angioplasty and stent placement procedure.
* Obtained a jury verdict in favor of an emergency room physician in a wrongful death case alleging negligent failure to diagnose an arteriovenous malformation within the brain.
* Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of a hotel owner in arbitration proceedings with large hotel management firm.
* Obtained summary judgment and successfully defended the appeal before the Alabama Supreme Court in a matter alleging negligence and invasion of privacy related to the inadvertent dissemination of medical information.
* Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a family practice specialist in a wrongful death case alleging negligent failure to appropriately follow a pericardial effusion.
* Secured a jury verdict in favor of a general surgeon in a case alleging negligent failure to detect bowel injury and negligent failure to surgically repair a fistula.
* Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a surgeon and radiologist in a medical malpractice case arising out of complications experienced by the plaintiff following a shotgun wound to the head.
* Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a rural hospital in litigation stemming from the death of an infant diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.
* Secured a jury verdict in favor of a surgeon in a case involving complications from laparoscopic cholecystectomy procedure.
Honors And Awards
George is an active member of the Alabama Bar Association, serving as a member of the Alabama Bar Leadership Forum Selection Committee. He was selected to participate in the Leadership Forum program as a member of the 2011 class. George is an AV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review RatingsTM, and was named a Rising Star for the state of Alabama by the 2011 - 2015 editions of Alabama Super Lawyers® magazine. He is also a member of The American Society of Legal Advocates, which selects less than 1.5% of lawyers nationwide for membership.
While in law school, he served as a senior editor for The Alabama Law Review. Prior to graduating from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service, and following a period of study at Tokyo’s Jochi Daigaku, George successfully completed the University’s Japanese proficiency examination.
Speeches And Publications
* Limiting Liability in the Operating Room, American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Spring Meeting, Sandestin, FL (April 24, 2015)
* The Anesthesiologist As Witness, UAB 40th Annual Anesthesia Update, Birmingham, AL (February 18, 2012)
* Maintaining the Balance: Reconciling the Social and Judicial Costs of Medical Peer Review Protection, 52 Ala. L. Rev. 723 (2001)
East Alabama Behavioral Medicine, PC v. Chancey, 883 So. 2d 162 (Ala. 2003).
Chapman v. Smith, 893 So. 2d 293 (Ala. 2004).
Johnson v. Brookwood Med. Ctr., 946 So. 2d 849 (Ala. 2006).
Graves v. Brookwood Med. Ctr., 43 So. 3d 1218 (Ala. 2009).